Proxy server (squid3) on osmc

HI, this may be a not so common… here it goes…
I used to run a small home proxy server (squid3) on my Raspberri Pi1 running raspbian… but I think OSMC suits my needs better… now, how do I install squid 3? I know is Debian but when I run the apt-get install it does not find it…:

osmc@osmc:/etc$ sudo apt-get install squid3
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package squid3

This is what sources.list has:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb Index of /raspbian jessie main contrib non-free
deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie main

I am guessing if I add this line I will be able to install it after running ‘apt-get upgrade’:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main

Is this correct? I also wonder if it will break osmc if I install it… I could take the deb mirror line out and re-run ‘apt-get update’ again…

Just wondering if its OK to do it this way… don’t want to break the install… when I had raspbian installed had no problem and worked great… thanks, any suggestion would be very much appreciated…

2kaa2k

Don’t add the debian repo if you are running on a Pi 1.

A Pi 1 cannot run the armv7 binaries provided by ftp.debian.org - only a Pi 2 can. (Pi 2 installs of OSMC already use the debian repo directly)

Most likely the reason you cannot install the package is because you haven’t run

sudo apt-get update

first to populate the APT cache. (we don’t ship with a populated APT cache) Also check that you are looking for the correct package name:

sudo apt-cache search squid3

Nice!
Thanks, I just did that and it looks I can install it from the repository… this is a fresh install of osmc and did not want to break it :slight_smile: learning as I go… thanks so much!

osmc@osmc:/etc$ sudo apt-cache search squid3
squid-cgi - Full featured Web Proxy cache (HTTP proxy) - control CGI
squid3 - Full featured Web Proxy cache (HTTP proxy)
squid3-common - Full featured Web Proxy cache (HTTP proxy) - common files
squid3-dbg - Full featured Web Proxy cache (HTTP proxy) - Debug symbols
squidclient - Full featured Web Proxy cache (HTTP proxy) - control utility

I use squid3 at home too (to filter adverts) and it’s very useful. It will work fine on OSMC, but if you implement transparent proxying, be sure to change IP of the webserver in Kodi.

S

Thanks for the tip, I don’t use transparent proxying… already got it up and running… just need to do some teaks… it works great for home use… little machine can do more than media :smile:
Thanks again.

Just keep in mind that the Ethernet interface is 100Mbit, limiting you to a maximum theoretical throughput of 50Mbit when acting as a proxy for another device.

Further, Squid is quite CPU and IO intensive and the Pi 1 is very slow so I’d expect to see much much lower throughput than this. If you have a fast internet connection adding Squid on a Pi 1 is only likely to slow you down, especially if Kodi is actively doing something.

HI, Yes you are correct, thanks for the info… I only use this proxy server when I am on the road and need to connect via VPN to home, I have a SA2500 vpn appliance that I connect to that needs a dedicated proxy server because I don’t use split dns/vpn… so I channel all the traffic thru home… traffic is not heavy, just when I need some secure connection… we don’t use it at home… it works great for my needs without having a full pc running squid…