Quick Exit/ Shutown + Restore last opened Folder?

There are times I watch several episodes of a TV Series and then wish to just “quickly” Shutdown Kodi instead of having to exit to Home screen using the ATV remote. Is there a way to do that without just unplugging?

Also, I’d like to have Kodi come back or give me suggestion/ option to go back to “previously browsed / most recent folder”?

Are any of these possible default in Kodi or in the OSMC ATV1 release of Kodi via ATV remote? Or via some 3rd party Remote/ + with Keyboard?

… making this a Kodi request. OSMC has little control over such niche Kodi behaviors.

@ActionA - I was hoping that maybe Kodi/ OSMC had something like this built in? The only thread I found on Kodi forumd was something talking about using Alt-F4 and/ or other Keyboard shortcuts.

And then someone commented that Kodi doesnt just run on Windows.

But to point out, its a major long route to what should be a quick shutdown.

Never unplug an Apple TV without properly performing a proper shutdown via the shutdown menu or you will corrupt the file system sooner or later and hose the system.

I find it hard to believe that it’s such a burden to navigate to the shutdown menu ? If you had a remote with a power button (or a spare button that could be remapped to a power function using a custom remote.xml) you could shut down the system with a single button press, however the Apple TV remote is somewhat lacking in buttons. :wink:

Is there an inexpensive remote where I can do this for ATV1 OSMC?

PS: There are times I am many many folders deep into my NAS and just wish to shutdown for the night without having to exit every folder then get to Home screen and shutdown. Would like the same for last used/ recent folders

If you have a remote with a home button, this does the same as pressing escape on the keyboard - which will bring you back to the home screen in either one, or two presses depending on where you are exactly.

The OSMC remote has a Home button which may help. You could possibly look at repurposing a button on the AppleTV remote, but it’s not got many buttons.

Turning off properly is really important. On AppleTV, doubly so. If you do not power off properly, you can end up with a read-only filesystem which is a real hassle.

This is close to ideal and quick. Is there any tutorial or link to re purposing a button on the ATV remote? Or create Combination key on it?

@sam_nazarko - So when inside Video Folder/ File browsing (non Library mode) the and buttons both bring up the same Menu. Could it be possible to modify this to point to some kind of shortcut?

I wish it could be added inside the On Screen Menu - When watching and changing Subtitles, Video, Audio options where there are so many items, and if there was a way to do a Quick Stop and Shutdown - that would be something.

In fact there should be a HOME/ Shutdown button shortcut there the way Apple iOS has the Accessibility helper thing that floats around.

I know this may be a major fork thats beyond Kodi scope, but isnt that an Idea that makes sense for all Kodi releases no matter what platform they run on? from OSD to Quick shutdown.

1 Like

You can modify the buttons on the OSMC Remote and the AppleTV remote programatically.

So in theory you could repurpose an AppleTV remote button to do Home / Shutdown. But the problem is it doesn’t have many buttons. No matter how hard you try, something is always missing :confused:

The OSMC remote is more permissive (more buttons).

Certainly possible, and possibly the role of a skinner. I say this because we have an updates available notification that overlays on any skin. But we haven’t heard of this feature request before. It’s a nice one – a small sort of ‘dash’. The only thing I would say is we would have to work out when it should be displayed or not, which could be tricky.

1 Like

@sam_nazarko - Thanks for reading and responding.

If you can point / link me to some HOW-TOs/ Tutorials for the following I’ll try and give it a shot?

You can modify the buttons on the OSMC Remote and the AppleTV remote programatically.

So in theory you could repurpose an AppleTV remote button to do Home / Shutdown. But the problem is it doesn’t have many buttons. No matter how hard you try, something is always missing :confused:

The OSMC remote is more permissive (more buttons).

• Modifying/ Customizing some aspect of ATV remote / its Keymap

Certainly possible, and possibly the role of a skinner. I say this because we have an updates available notification that overlays on any skin. But we haven’t heard of this feature request before. It’s a nice one – a small sort of ‘dash’. The only thing I would say is we would have to work out when it should be displayed or not, which could be tricky.

• I’m wondering if I can delve into this Skin thing with some links guidance on Skins. I think it is key for ATV1 given the “hardware” limitations it has - Especially the fear of “Unsafe” Shutdown causing it to bork. There have been days where I was 5-6 levels deep inside NAS folders, tired and sleepy (File View, Not Library) and I just flipped off the switch to the ATV1. Would prefer to avoid :blush: