Random freeze / quit to menu on high bandwidth content

You rebooted after playing the movie so what you uploaded did not have the kernel log of what was going on when the glitch happened. When we recommend rebooting (twice) it is just to clear the old logs to make the file smaller. To get the best chance at finding the fault the log would need to be uploaded after the glitch, and before a restart.

Sorry. I’m messing this process up. To get it right:

First I reboot. Twice
Then I start the movie and wait for the glitch
then I upload the logs

Check?

1 Like

Correct.

I followed instructions on how to extract only the first 4Mb’s and used mediainfo on that smaller file.
Mediainfo just stared at me blankly when I set it loose on the entire file.
Other than that I did nothing to the file. What part looks funky?

I’ll do you one better: I replace both the cable and the entire switch. Went from D-Link to Linksys. Nothing improved.
You wouldn’t believe the things I’ve done to fix this. My wife is ready to kill me if I move the TV cabinet again.
Thing is: I never had these issues until Kodi Leia. It almost seems as if Leia is less tolerant towards files that contain some errors. I’m seriously considering downgrading to Krypton.

Did you check the settings on the Yamaha that I suggested? And the other changes to the GUI settings?

Yes I would :smile:

You think it is a issue with the files themselves? The way to test that would be to put a file on a drive and play it directly from the Vero itself.

With the glitch happening at random times and it kicking back to the UI it sounds more to me like Kodi temporarily losing access to the file. Those occasional network retransmits are a bit curious as well. What exactly is sitting in the path between your NAS and the Vero? There is nothing but switches isn’t there. The two extra routers are only plugged into the LAN ports so they are acting only as switches (with an AP attached) as well aren’t they?

Yep, did all that. Thanks for the tips!

Running a test movie (bohrap) now. Receiver is a Pioneer. My mistake. The Yamaha one is in a different room. I set mode to 3 (was 2). And I made sure everything was set to hdmi 2.2.

Bohemian Rhapsody (UHD) plays just fine on my Vero 4K (not a + model) over my network. So that tells me that it’s either the rip, or the network causing the problem.

Did you rip BR yourself, or get it from other sources?

I could try and connect a USB drive and see what happens. But that would totally mess up my radarr/sonarr/two pi3-correlec setup.

Between the nas and the vero there’s the main router, the two mesh routers and the switch. Had to create some sort of weird utp snake around the house. Had absolutely no way of getting cat6 around the house otherwise without tearing down supporting walls. So yeah, the mesh routers are nothing but (expensive) switches. And AP’s to enable my daughter’s totally out of control Netflix habit.

I do remember that connecting stuff directly to an Asus router wasn’t always a good idea. In the past I had to put a switch in between my router and my nas, Sonos ap and other stuff. I might try that again today.

Can you try copying one of the problem files to USB stick or drive and try local playback?

Have you tried iperf3 testing between the Vero and the NAS?

And I’d guess that your version of BR of unknown quality?

Copying the file to a USB drive as we speak. Iperf3 results are in post #4. Some retries. No idea where they came from. I’m currently browsing my router’s settings.

Yea, the retrys make me think there is a network issue. Trying local playback will rule out a bad rip vs. a network problem.

Eelco,

can you tell which ip 13 is, which you used for Iperf on the first 2 results?

192.168.1.169 VERO
192.168.1.13 ???
192.168.1.202 SYNOLOGY (from last iperf you mentioned synology to vero

Did you test is also with the direct connection between NAS and Vero which you said would be limited to 100 mb?

Are the 905/912 devices with kodi 17 still active and they perform better with the same files you are now experiencing issues with the vero?

Are the NAS and Vero in the same room on that linksys 8-port switch or is it attached to the main router directly?

Is is possible to connect the vero to the main router downstairs (as i seem to read that a 15 meter cable is going from attic to living room? (only for test)

I’ve never played with one of these newer expensive Asus routers but looking at the page for that RT-AC88U it looks like that is using a managed switch and that could be causing hiccups from your NAS (lack of CPU, QOS, TrendMicro stuff, etc). I would be tempted to move it in the other room and plugging it into the same switch as the Vero so it is not competing with any other traffic on your LAN (like a kid with a Netflix habit).

This one’s the vero

This one’s the NAS’ first eth interface

This one is the NAS’s second eth interface

The other device is a Minix U1. It has no problems with the files

Haven’t tried a real direct connection. Only through the switch. I would need to get a utp extension cable for that.

No, the NAS is connected to the main router.

Interesting suggestion.

I’m gonna try that. Just hope the HD noises won’t bother us. I could also try moving the NAS to the attic, connecting it to an Asus 66U. After that there’s just the Linksys switch and then the Vero box.

Or would that cause hiccups as well? As in: the 66U’s are managed switches as well?

Edit: I killed a bunch of services on the main router (parental control, trend micro and so on). Will keep an eye on cpu and memory load to see if there’s a correlation between those and the kodi crashes.

did you setup BONDING/Linkaggr for your NAS two IP’s?

cause it seems you are connecting separately to the NAS?

good to read that the Minix is not experiencing the issues

why is the direct connection between NAS and Vero limited to 100Mb?

sorry for all the questions :wink:

Yeah, just a minute ago :wink:

Thanks for the advice. Running another test now.

No the 66U’s are using normal switches. The difference is a dumb switch just looks at the address and forwards the information. This is easy and done on dedicated chips so everything always happens at full speed. On the other hand a managed switch normally has to actually process everything that goes through it and all that traffic consumes a lot of CPU cycles. The CPU can get bogged down processing something else and hold up information that is flowing through it that is completely unrelated.

Regarding the NAS why did you plug in two cables if you did not have link aggregation (LAG) setup. In order for that to work they must also be going into port 1&2 of that router and you must turn on LAG on in the routers software as well. If you end up moving it you should only use a single connection (because LAG only works with a managed switch).