Random, hard crashes of the new Vero V

Hello,

I’m experiencing a somewhat random crashes of my new Vero V and it is a little bit difficult to deterministically induce them. When the device crashes I lose both ssh access to it and an ability to ping it. One thing I can do then is to power cycle it.

When I first got the device I updated it to the latest OSMC version. Then, to try to exclude borked update process, I reinstalled it completely using the OSMC installer.

At first I noticed it when I tried to wake it up from suspend; I thought that maybe this is related somehow to the suspended state of the Vero V but unfortunately this is only one way this can manifest. Vero V can sometimes work properly for about an hour and sometimes it crashes just ~20 seconds after it fully booted to the Kodi interface. What I noticed, is that if it is able to work for longer period of time and then crashes subsequent crashes tend to occur very soon after full boot - but that easily could be just happenstance.

The device also sometimes appears to crash in middle of the boot process itself as it stays indefinitely on the blue screen with the OSMC logo.

I was able to invoke “grab-logs -A” in between the hard crashes but unfortunately without the Enable Debugging option set - I will try to set it but I have limited time to navigate to the settings page to set it :stuck_out_tongue: Here are the logs:

https://paste.osmc.tv/opinabopey

I also sometimes see the last breaths of the device in ssh terminal. For example from the last observed crash I see:

osmc@osmc:~$ 
Broadcast message from systemd-journald@osmc (Thu 2024-05-09 22:47:51 CEST):
systemd[1]: Caught <ABRT>, dumped core as pid 3165.
Broadcast message from systemd-journald@osmc (Thu 2024-05-09 22:47:51 CEST):
systemd[1]: Freezing execution.

Any help diagnosing this problem will be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

I’d try a reinstall OSMC as the first thing.

Sam

I already reinstalled it once during initial testing but I will try to experiment a bit more with it over the next few days.

This sounds power related to me. If you have anything plugged into the USB ports try it without those plugged in. If not that, try plugging it into a different outlet. If that doesn’t change anything I’d try powering it with another supply if you happen to have something that matches the same specs (or a USB A-A cable to power it via backfeeding for testing).

1 Like

I will have this in mind, thank you. I know that this does not rule out anything but this is the same power socket I used for my rpi 3/4/5 without issues - rpi 4 was plugged in it 24/7 for a few years.

I do have currently a Microsoft Nano Transceiver and a Maxtor M3 in USB ports so I will check without them.

Hang on - are you not using the supplied power supply?

I’m using the one that came with the Vero V itself. What I meant is that this same wall power socket was used to power other devices.

Quick test with no stuff in USB ports, no HDMI cable attached and no Ethernet cable attached in different combinations reproduce the issue.

I will try to get different 5V/2A power supply but this will probably be sometime next week. I just found out I have no single USB A<->A cable in house :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for explaining. Will await your feedback.