"Random" playback stops with new Wifi adapter

Hello there!

I’m running OSMC for about 1 1/2 years on my RPi 3 now and used openelec before that for several years on my RPi 1b. I am really happy with the Software but have one particular issue now and hope you can help me out.

I have used a tiny 2.4 Ghz Wifi adapter (EW-7811UN) since my beginning with the RPi. But then I moved into a new home and have to deal with a highly congested wifi area since - primarily in the field of 2.4Ghz.

I wasn’t able to stream any HD content without permanent bufferings - even with an adjusted advancedsettings file. Thus i decided to give my Pi a little upgrade and was recommended the Edimax EW-7612UAn on several forums. Long story short: Sometimes I was able to stream HD content but often I wasn’t. I would say especially in the evening this was the case - probably a peak in data transfer in all the other WLANs reducing the performance of mine.

Now I got myself a third Wifi adapter in the hope to finally solve my problem. This time one with 5 Ghz support. The EW-7811UAC.
My other devices are running nicely in the 5 Ghz environment and there is only a second Router on this frequency, thus there is no interference between mine and other networks.

TLDR:
Starting a HD movie on my RPi 3 with the new Antenna in the 5 Ghz network is lightning fast. It streams perfect! BUT! After some time - and this may be between 1 Minute to several Minutes (>20) the video suddenly stops and I am back in the kodi menu. I never ever had this before.

Setup:
Asus RT-AC66U + USB Harddrive attached via smb
RPI 3
EW-7811UAC
2 ampere power supply

I did some debug log tests and found that the Pi says “connection timed out” right before the stop happens. Connection is perfect and Up-/downstream as well as my router says.
Some people with similar problems were suggested to adjust “advancedsettings”, disable Background Updater of Connmann and such but this did not help me at all. I came to the result that it might be a peak in power consumption of the Pi, which is in return disabling the USB interface for a short second because my power supply might be too bad. However, I did never see the lightning bolt sign again after I upgraded to this power supply a while ago. Is there a way to see somewhere in the log if it is an issue of insufficient power? Like an entry of “usb device removed/disabled” one might know from windows ;-)?

Before I run to the next place buying a new power plug for my Pi after i spent money for 2 “usless” wifi adapters in the first place makes me really want to think twice about it.

Regards and thanks in advance!

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

Hey ActionA,
Thank you very much for your quick reply.

The log can be found here
The error occured at 19:37.

Note: I disabled the advancedsettings on purpose at the moment

2 amp is not enough for a Pi3. Get a better power supply.

Well you system log doesn’t show a connectivity loss at 19:37 which might indiciate that it is not a low level network disconnect but a Kodi issue. But you also seems to have copied stuff wrongly in your smb.conf.
Can you share your smb.conf and user.conf?

Sep 11 19:35:46 osmc mediacenter[328]: Unknown parameter encountered: "//client lanman auth"
Sep 11 19:35:46 osmc mediacenter[328]: Ignoring unknown parameter "//client lanman auth"
Sep 11 19:35:46 osmc mediacenter[328]: Unknown parameter encountered: "//lanman auth"
Sep 11 19:35:46 osmc mediacenter[328]: Ignoring unknown parameter "//lanman auth"
Sep 11 19:35:46 osmc mediacenter[328]: Unknown parameter encountered: "//client lanman auth"
Sep 11 19:35:46 osmc mediacenter[328]: Ignoring unknown parameter "//client lanman auth"
Sep 11 19:35:46 osmc mediacenter[328]: Unknown parameter encountered: "//lanman auth"
Sep 11 19:35:46 osmc mediacenter[328]: Ignoring unknown parameter "//lanman auth"

Would you consider to use fstab based mount for testing if that allows stable playing?

Hey bmillham. Thanks for your reply. I know that 2 amp are usually not recommended for the Pi3. However, since I switched to my 2 amp power supply (I used a lower before) I never saw the lightning symbol again, which usually states that there is not enough currency. So I agree that it MIGHT be the reason. But as I said. Before spending another couple of coins I would like to know if the raspberry can somehow tell me via a log file that this is the issue.

[quote=“fzinken, post:5, topic:38570”] Well you system log doesn’t show a connectivity loss at 19:37 which might indiciate that it is not a low level network disconnect but a Kodi issue. But you also seems to have copied stuff wrongly in your smb.conf.
Can you share your smb.conf and user.conf?[/quote]

My smb.conf is:

[global]
lock directory = /home/osmc/.kodi/.smb/
client max protocol = SMB3
name resolve order = bcast host
include = /home/osmc/.kodi/.smb/user.conf

My user.conf:

//client lanman auth = yes
//lanman auth = yes
client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no

Info: I wasn’t able to access my files on the asus router after the last update of osmc. Thus i had to use the user.conf. I commented “client langman auth” and “lanman auth” since the adjustment worked without them.
Thanks in this regards for the help in a different topic :wink:

I would prefer not to use the fstab command, since I guess a wrong handling might result in data deletion. Am I correct? Or is there a way to give it a try with read access only?
I also considered to update the asus router with merlin-wrt to gain access for nfs shares. Would this be a second option for better handling in kodi in terms of speed?

(I’ll be back in the evening)

“//” is not valid to comment in this files use “#” instead or as you don’t need that changes anymore remove the lines.

Well I would not say so, basically also your Kodi access is read/write so the danger level is quite similar. But if you are happy with read-only you can do that with ftab. Just follow the instructions in the wiki and just replace “,rw,” with “,ro,”

I removed the lines of the user.conf which were incorrectly commented :wink:
And I also mounted one of my shares now via fstab. In this concern I do have a question.

Now that it is mounted - where do I see the new share in kodi? Especially when I already had one mounted internally with the same name?
Or am I misunderstanding how the fstab command is working?

Thanks in advance!

Remove your previous source. When adding new source, select root file system and navigate to the mounted location.

You find it under root folder and then under /mntand than just add the source with a different name for testing

Thanks to the both of you, fzinken and ActionA.

I am running a test for over an hour of constant playback now and no random stop occured.
Seems like the slow smb interface of kodi really might have been the reason for the strange behavior. So let’s hope it won’t happen again in the long run :wink:

Thank you very much. I will keep you updated in case it happens again.

For people with the same issue stumpling about this topic:
mount the smb drives via fstab (Tutorial)