Randomly blue/green tinted picture

I just received my Vero4K yesterday and set it up for some basic streaming. It works just fine apart from that randomly the picture jumps to a weird blue/green tint (like it’s missing the red channel). Sometimes it flashes pure green screen first. The problem either resolves itself after a while, or can be fixed by disconnecting the HDMI cable and reconnecting it.

I’ve tried with two different HDMI cabels on both of the HDMI channels on my TV. The problem persists. Is there some configuration that I’m missing or have a received a faulty Vero box?

Regards,
Vae

Hi,

Sorry to hear that.

• Is there a specific file where you can always reproduce that issue?
  • Does the whole screen change to this colour? If so – you might have an old TV (such as Philips) which misadvertises its colour range. It’s worth trying on another TV for a few minutes if you can.

I’d like to work out what the issue first.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

Sam

Thanks for the quick reply.

There is no specific file; it just happens randomly, even in the main menu. In fact it happened during the initial configuration menu about 10s after I booted up the device for the first time.

I took a phone pic of what it looks like: imgur.com/a/WHMr4

I can’t really recreate it on demand, but enabled logging after the pictured insident. It happened again after a while (at around 17:50). After about 1 minute, it resolved itself spontaneously, back to the normal picture. The logs are uploaded at https://paste.osmc.tv/onulijuwun

Regards,
Vae

Hi,

Yes – it looks like your TV advertises support for a colourspace it doesn’t support. It also appears to be a 2009 era Philips TV, which is what we expected:

Rx Brand Name: PHL
Rx Product Name: Philips
Manufacture Week: 8
Manufacture Year: 2009

We had a fix for this in an older version of OSMC, but it required manually setting the colour space, as the Philips TV is sending an incorrect EDID.

It hasn’t been tested in a while however.

Does running:

echo 'rgb,8bit' | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr resolve the problem?

I can try and produce something that handles this TV quirk in a more automatic manner if you’d be willing to test it.

Sam

Sure, I’m up for testing anything. (But I’m a complete linux noob and have had this box for 24h, so you may have to be patient with me)

I found a guide, installed putty and logged into the box, typed the line above, then restarted the box. The blue-tint thing hasn’t happened yet, but sometimes it runs for up to an hour without issues.

Is there someway to read the rgb attribute I (hopefully) just set? (Just to make sure I didn’t mess up somehow)

Yes. You can run cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr after setting it.

Your log provided earlier should let me provide a quirk to fix up the EDID the Philips reports and override it.

I will let you know when I have something for testing

Sam

Thank you. I’ll keep an eye on the thread.

cat /sys… does return ‘rgb,8bit’.

So far the colour stays the way it should. I’ll update the thread if it happens again.

Some users reported that it changes again, which is why I’m working on a more ideal solution.

Sam

Yeah, it held up for a couple of hours, then happened again twice in a row.
cat/sys still returns “rbg,8bit”

Vae

I think I have a fix here:

I will let you know when it’s ready to test

Sam

Hi

Hopefully the issue is now addressed

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I used your TV’s EDID specifically to develop this commit. If things are working and your EDID is being parsed, I’d like to see: “This is a 2009 Philips TV which misreports colour caps” in the system journal. After installing this kernel, please send a set of logs if you can, regardless of the outcome

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Sam

Hello all,

I have the same issue with my new vero 4k and old 2009 Philips TV.

I did the upgrade but the issue still happens but it seems that ocurs less frequently. The message “This is a 2009 Philips TV which misreports colour caps” is not in the system journal. You can check it at http://paste.osmc.tv/upozixarub

Thank you so much for you work.

Manuel.

Thanks, Sam!

Sorry it took a few days to test, as I was out of town at a work conference.

I tried to run the update just now. It reached 69% and then PuTTY froze. Here is a screenshot of what it was doing when it froze: https://imgur.com/a/ps6Sg. Maybe it just lost the connection when the box restarted?

The log-files are uploaded at hppts://paste.osmc.tv/jixefifaqa

Sadly, I only had to watch TV for about 5 minutes, before the colour error showed up again.

Regards,
Vae

ConnMan is restarted when network-osmc is updated.
As long as you don’t press Enter; the connection comes back naturally.

Anyway – it should all be updated now.

It looks like we’re not quite there yet however. I’ll take a look over the weekend and update this thread when there’s further things to test

Sam

Update: I’m getting a new TV tomorrow. It was past due anyway :slight_smile:

Thanks for the work you put into trying to help.

Vae

Hello,

I’m still having the problem but I downgraded to the march version and it is working fine.

However, sometimes I have blinking black screen during playing videos or in the menu that are bit annoying. I don’t know if it is fixed in newer versions, do you know it?

Manuel

Do you have an older Philips television? The problem is indeed not present in older releases of OSMC. I’m still eagerly awaiting a fix, some progress in identifying the problem has been made in this thread.

Yes, I have a 2009 Phillips TV. Thanks for the link.

By the way, do you have the black frames?

Indeed. 2009 Philips TVs are a pain in the backside.

This is still being worked on and I will update this thread when progress has been made

Sam

1 Like

I don’t have the black frames, sometimes a flash directly after turning the television on, but that because it’s negotiating the correct resolution I believe.