Rasp pi 3 extend delay of transmission start-up?

Hello all. I downloaded transmission from omsc app store, and I know about the 10 second delay of
startup that is built into it. I am wondering how I would go about extending that delay time.

Thank you.

You could use a systemd ‘drop-in’ to override any delays with a custom ExecStartPre= directive.

Why do you want to delay the startup?

Hello. Thank you for the reply. I have multiple large external USB harddrives that I use for storing and seeding my torrent files. When I restart my pi, I have to manually start the torrents each time. I figured if I could increase the delay to say 60 seconds, everything should be mounted and ready.

I would really like to know where that 10 second delay is, so I could change it to a increased value.

I don’t have transmission, so I don’t know for sure where the config file is. Try looking in /etc/systemd/system or /lib/systemd for a file with transmission in the name.

Before you do that, do you have ‘Wait for network’ set in My OSMC > Network? If not try that first.

Sorry for the delay in response again.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into them tomorrow when I have the time.

I did enable wait for network, but I will double check that also.

Thanks again

cat /lib/systemd/system/transmission.service 
[Unit]
Description=Transmission BitTorrent Daemon
After=udisks-glue.service

[Service]
User=osmc
Group=osmc
Type=notify
ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 10
ExecStart=/usr/bin/transmission-daemon -f --log-error --allowed *.*.*.*

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
1 Like

You should use a systemd drop-in so your changes aren’t overwritten when we update Transmission.

Or you save an edited copy in /etc/systemd/system.

That’s effectively what a drop-in is. That way only the ExecStartPre= directive only needs to be set.

Create a file like this:

[Service]
ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 10

Save as /etc/systemd/system/transmission.service.d/local.conf, adjusting the sleep time for however long you want.

1 Like

Hello again. Thank you both for the suggestions. I was able to get my problem resolved using dillthedog’s information. Editing cat /lib/systemd/system/transmission.service.

I am now attempting sam_nararko’s suggestion of creating a file and saving at /etc/systemd/system/transmission.service.d/local.conf. I’m having trouble here as there is no transmission.service.d in etc/systemd/system/.

I am fairly new to linux so the easiest task takes awhile for me to figure out. Hopefully I can figure this out.

Thank you all once again.

You need to make that transmission.service.d directory. It’s not expected to exist.

Thank you for the information. I will do that now.

Thank you sam_nazarko your information works perfectly.

Thank you also to dillthedog for the information of where the timer is located. It is nice to know two ways to achieve the delay.

Very much appreciated!

1 Like

Glad this has worked

1 Like