Rasp Pi 4 OSMC goes black after first boot

Fresh install of OSMC on Pi 4, on a sdcard. It formats and installs, boots enough to show the blue OSMC screen, then goes completely blank and hangs. Can’t SSH. Looked at install.log on sdcard and it looks normal as it ends with “Successful installation. Dumping log and rebooting system.” Kodi worked fine off of LIbreElec last week.

If more information is needed, please tell me how to get it from a windows box. Couldn’t see any more log files off the primary partition on the sdcard.

Not having a GUI or SSH access is severely limiting. My best suggestion is to try a fresh installation once again Also verify the image file’s checksum and ensure that you have the correct version for the Pi4.

I did it twice and the same thing happened - yes, the correct Pi 4 version. MD5 verified.

Understood. Can you ping the box, BTW?

A problem with the card is a possibility. Try a different one.

Ok, managed to mount the other partition on Windows and found the log file

https://paste.osmc.tv/owecixawif.xml

It’s a brand new SdCard so that’s unlikely but I can try.

The log shows a few error messages about unmatched parenthese and ends with this line:

2021-08-08 04:16:34.385 T:516 ERROR <general>: Control 20010 in window 13001 has been asked to focus, but it can't

This is a bit outside my area of knowledge but I think the next step would be to create a file /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml in the second (ie Linux) partition and add a line to it between the advancedsettings xml tags.:

<loglevel>1</loglevel>

That would give Kodi debugging-level messages.

However, on Windows, creating and editing such a file might be something of a problem…

Beyond that, I’ll have to pass this one over to a Kodi guru.

I added and there were a few extra lines on the screen ( I gave 2) but I saw nothing different in the log file. Same behavior.

Installing on a completely different sdcard gave the same results.

I have a Pi4 that is working just fine after an upgrade. I’ll try a fresh install on another card and see if I also have problems.

It’s very strange that Kodi and SSH are both failing.

You didn’t mention whether you could ping the Pi.

Could you try another TV set - preferably one that is capable of handling 1080p? Just to rule out problems with the installation itself or SD card problems. My log showed exactly the same

and I ended up with a black screen, too.

Further up in this log file one can see that OSMC found the TV resolution 1920x1080i - and I guess this one is picked per default. However, my TV was also not able to convert that signal and I had to set OSMC manually to a output of 720p to get it working. Mine was a try and error approach and I had to make changes both in config-user.txt and /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml.

Would it be possible that the raspi4 does not send the correct signal if an older TV reports itself as being only capable of 1920x1080 interlaced and not progressive. And what would be the proper and straightforward way to set the resolution fixed to 720p?

You’re right, hooking it up to a new computer monitor shows it working. The TV is at least a decade old.

And now the wifi doesn’t work.

2021-08-14 23:20:09.322 T:1671 DEBUG : script.module.osmcsetting.networking[networking_gui] : Unhandled Exception thrown in Networking GUI
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.networking/resources/lib/osmcnetworking/networking_gui.py”, line 420, in onClick
self.handle_wireless_selection(controlID)
File “/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.networking/resources/lib/osmcnetworking/networking_gui.py”, line 1198, in handle_wireless_selection
self.handle_selected_wireless_network()
File “/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.networking/resources/lib/osmcnetworking/networking_gui.py”, line 1272, in handle_selected_wireless_network
self.connect_to_wifi(ssid, encrypted, opt_forget=True)
File “/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.networking/resources/lib/osmcnetworking/networking_gui.py”, line 1352, in connect_to_wifi
hiddenssid, self.lib_path)
File “/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.networking/resources/lib/osmcnetworking/osmc_network.py”, line 408, in wifi_connect
with open(’/tmp/preseed_data’, ‘w’, encoding=‘utf-8’) as key_file:
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/tmp/preseed_data’

chmod that file to 666 still gave an error – [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: ‘/tmp/preseed_data’

Preseeding seems to be broken, suggest reinstall without Preseeding and then connect via MyOSMC