Raspberry PI 3: no (built-in) WiFi in My OSMC > Network

Hello,

My Raspberry PI 3 (model B) was not booting anymore, so I reinstalled OSMC. But I don’t see any “wireless” menu in My OSMC > Network. I don’t know if it was working before I reinstalled OSMC, as I have not been using it for a while.

If I plug a USB WiFi dongle, “Wireless” does appear. But I need this dongle for another PI, so I would rather use the built-in WiFi.

Here is what lshw displays (sorry, it’s in French):

osmc                        
description: ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)
produit: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
numéro de série: 0000000054eec70c
bits: 32 bits
fonctionnalités: smp
*-core
   description: Motherboard
   identifiant matériel: 0
 *-cpu:0
      description: CPU
      produit: cpu
      identifiant matériel: 0
      information bus: cpu@0
      taille: 600MHz
      capacité: 1200MHz
      fonctionnalités: half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32 cpufreq
 *-cpu:1
      identifiant matériel: 1
      information bus: cpu@1
      fonctionnalités: half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32 cpufreq
 *-cpu:2
      identifiant matériel: 2
      information bus: cpu@2
 *-cpu:3
      identifiant matériel: 3
      information bus: cpu@3
 *-memory
      description: Mémoire système
      identifiant matériel: 4
      taille: 746MiB
*-network:0
   description: Interface réseau sans fil
   identifiant matériel: 1
   information bus: usb@1:1.3
   nom logique: wlan0
   numéro de série: e8:94:f6:19:58:17
   fonctionnalités: ethernet physical wireless
   configuration: broadcast=yes driver=r8188eu ip=192.168.1.38 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
*-network:1
   description: Ethernet interface
   identifiant matériel: 2
   information bus: usb@1:1.1
   nom logique: eth0
   numéro de série: b8:27:eb:ee:c7:0c
   taille: 10Mbit/s
   capacité: 100Mbit/s
   fonctionnalités: ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
   configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=smsc95xx driverversion=22-Aug-2005 duplex=half firmware=smsc95xx USB 2.0 Ethernet link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s

Any idea?

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Does it work with Raspbian OS? If not then it is most likely a hardware failure

Hello,

Thank you for your help. Logs are available here.
I reproduced the issue with no WiFi dongle plugged.

So this log was created without the Wifi Dongle plugged in?
And no wireless option been shown?

Hi,

I have only one micro-SD card. Is there a way to create a dual boot (OSMC / Raspbian) without having to re-format the SD card?

No

Yes. And after I reproduced the issue, I plugged black the WiFi dongle to get the logs using SSH.

Ok, nothing directly visible. I really believe best is get second SD card with Raspian OS to confirm it’s not a hardware issue.

OK, I backed up my SD Card and I installed Raspbian. But I get message “no wireless interface found” when I click on the upper right widget. I can’t find the Network settings in Raspbian…

If I plug the WiFi dongle, I get the error message. So, I’m not 100% sure it is an hardware problem.

Sounds like a hardware problem to me and maybe a missing driver for the Wifi Dongle

1 Like

Isn’t it unlikely to have this kind of hardware issue? Isn’t the WiFi integrated into the Broadcom chip?

I also noticed there is a message when I shut down OSMC: « Failed to start Broadcom 43xx bluetooth »

In Raspbian, I can see the WiFi dongle in lsusb, ifconfig or iwconfig.
If I launch ifconfig or iwconfig with the dongle unplugged, I only see eth0 and lo, no wlan0 shows up :confused:

So, I fear you’re right, though I don’t understand how this could happened…

Unlikely yes, unheard of, no. Raspbian is made by the same people who make the hardware so if it doesn’t work there on a clean install and you don’t have a connected device drawing too much current or an underperforming PSU then I don’t know how else you could explain it.

As far as I can tell, it’s a separate chip: the Broadcom BCM43438.

Thank you for your replies. I think you’re right about the hardware failure, I’ll use à WiFi dongle.