Raspberry Pi 4: HDMI via Yamaha receiver issue - signal lost

Hello all,

Background:
Have been running Pi3Model-B for ages without issues by connecting it to a Yamaha receiver (RX-V2600) over HDMI. No issues.

Issue on Pi4:
Installed fresh osmc (OSMC_TGT_rbp4_20220512) on a Pi4 recently. No issues with install.
With Pi4 connected to Yamaha receiver, Pi boots ok, but a few seconds after it displays splash screen, the signal is lost. Pi is fully booted up: can ssh in etc.

Diagnosis:
Connected Pi directly to TV (LG) and works without issue, so problem appears to be related to the Yamaha receiver, and/or software settings on the PI, and/or HDMI cable between PI and Yamaha receiver.

Have attempted multiple /boot/config-user.txt configurations (readme suggests not using /boot/config.txt) and also attempted modifying “My OSMC” from GUI, but cant get Pi to retain HDMI signal. [If I access the LG TVs input settings and view the HDMI port the PI4 is connected to (via the Yamaha receiver) I’m sometimes able to get it to retain the HDMI signal and can then select it and view Kodi]. I’ve played with display and “MY OSMC” from GUI at this stage and configured audio over HDMI, but after rebooting, signal is lost again.

I’ve looked in logs (journalctl) and cant see anything specific other than the following entry, but as audio is working I’ve disregarded this for now:
hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.3.auto: ASoC: error at snd_soc_dai_startup on i2s-hifi: -19

Could really use some possible fixes from others who’ve come across a similar problem.

Cheers,
Nacro.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Thank you dear Tom for the very detailed info, appreciated. I had a look through it. Interesting stuff.
While looking at the output, I did find a hack out by replacing dtoverlay=vc4-kms with dtoverlay=vc4-fkms. Pi boots up correctly after that (sound not working). Did some reading up on it but got a little confused about its function. Could you provide a laymans understanding?

the uploadlog were a little large so I had to split them:
https://paste.osmc.tv/lusevapeye
https://paste.osmc.tv/otacisiruy

Thanks.

update: adding dtparam=audio=on fixed the sound.

hello. does anyone have any ideas about how/why the fix actually worked and whether I can continue using my receiver for full hd ? also sound has been fudged with the parameter I’m using.