Raspberry Pi 4 Model B announced - OSMC

You will need to wait for now.

Only static metadata formats. But this support is a while off yet, so currently does not work at all.

Sam

Can the Pi 4 decode VP9 or VP 9.2 in hardware?

Currently no. @popcornmix says:

There is a hardware block that can do vp9 bitstream (cabac style) acceleration but the pixel operations need software decode which is the majority of the work.

Doesn’t bode well for 4K HDR on YouTube, then?

I’m not sure. I would suspect the first efforts will be in getting 4K HEVC to work.

I read that Pi4 supports x265. Does that mean x265 will run smoothly on OSMC at 1080p?

It will be software decoded for now.
So most content will be smooth. Obviously hardware acceleration is the goal.

Sam

1 Like

Until it overheats SW decoding 10bit 1080p because it does not include a quality heatsink.

Good thing FLIRC already has mounted a rescue missing for that:

@sam_nazarko Is it possible you’ll be selling an RPi4 kit with an OSMC-branded case and OSMC pre-installed next year? :slight_smile:

No — we have no plans to do that.

@wrxtasy will libreelec support hardware decoding for PI4?

For me I can’t see the point in buying pi4 if it will be software decoded as I’m a heavy skin user and like tinkering with skin while video plays in background. Software decode will use all resources for this. Pi3 just about works for me but is slow. Was hoping to upgrade but don’t want to part with osmc with its Debian under the hood.

@sam_nazarko please consider some type of temporary hardware decode patch for time being until v19 if it’s not too much work.

It’s something we will look in to.

You would then get 4K HEVC decoding (but limited to 8-bit output for now, and no HDR). This will give similar results to HEVC decoding on ODroid C2, in that colours may not be correct when watching HDR content.

1 Like

That would be fine with me as don’t have much 4k files and don’t have hdr tv. I’d be happy with 1080p hardware decode for now.

Thanks for listening

I just noticed that this guy says the new Pi can hw decode 1080p and 4k video, did he make a mistake or am I missing something ? Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - YouTube

Read the blog post.
HW can decode 4K HEVC. Software is the issue.

So when will there be an Pi4 OSMC image even a testing one ??
The Pi foundation still seems to be pointing to NOOBS image which has some osmc image on it.
I ask as I’m waiting delivery of one and itching to test it compared to my Pi2.

Yes, there will be an image.
It will be released when it’s ready. I’m currently trying to enjoy a holiday, so taking a more relaxed pace to work.

Cheers

Sam

These cases look really great, but to get it shipped to the UK more than doubles the price.

Im not tight or poor, but I find that irritating.

1 Like

An holiday when a new Pi is released very bad Timing, next time better ask Eben Upton if you can take a vacation.

Just fooling around enjoy your free days.

I’m surprised it cant do 1080p Netflix if it can software decode 1080p VC1 and mpeg2.