Raspberry Pi 4 Model B announced - OSMC

I know that this might just be speculation at this point, but with the new Raspberry Pi 4. Does anyone have any guesses what ram version (1, 2, or 4 gb) people should order for use with OSMC?

There has also been a lot of talk about having to wait for 4K HEVC/H.265 decoding. But what about 1080p HEVC/H.265 decoding? Will that work once a new version is made for it?

Decoding is limited to SW only for now.
The 2GB model probably makes the most sense.

1 Like

Is there screen tearing with the GUI at the moment?

The only reason I see for 4gb version is if you are gonna run, multiple services along side your mediacenter. But even when Iā€™ve run 2 web-servers, 2 torrent clients with their own webguis, Kodis own web interface, vnc-server and an IRC client then Iā€™ve found no limits with 2 gb on the vero4k.

1 Like

Yes, there is screen tearing and it is awfull. In one episode i tested, each time the scene changed, top half blinked black. Most of the time, there is tering in the bottom.
I tested on raspbian buster with kodi installed.

Right now, i am back to 3b+ until OSMC is out which will hopefully solve the issues.

Was navigating the menus and libraries much faster with RPI 4?

Not really something i should compare. 3b+ was with osmc and 4 is on rasp with desktop and standard skin in kodi.
Also, i am on tv remote via CEC.
That being said, it was fluid. Not a huge difference to 3b+, but it was there.
My main concern was network stream from my pc to rpi via SMB share. Previously, large movies would buffer a lot. That i couldnā€™t test yet because of tearing.

This tearing has been very much improved in the LibreELEC alpha, not sure its made the version you can download yet, but popcornmix posted links to the files which has greatly improved things for me. This fix also solved the problems with 1080i deinterlacing, and dropped frames I was having.

Id imagine itā€™ll be a fair bit of time before Sam releases anything for the Pi4, there are a lot of hardware changes from the Pi3, and a lot of bugs that need ironing out.

Ive finally got TVHeadend working well under Buster, and the network performance is great for making a budget NAS, im getting 700-800 mb/s data transfer moving large files.
And booting from a USB3 SSD makes a huge difference.

When OSMC is ready Iā€™ll install that on it and drop Raspbian, only slight issue with the Pi4 atm is the temperature, seems to idle at around 60 degrees with no case on it, so ill have to get a case with passive cooling when they are more abundant, I really like that flirc Kodi one.

It shouldnā€™t take that long to get ready; Iā€™ve just been taking things easy.

Sam

Thats good to hear Sam, although I didnā€™t intend that as a ā€˜nudgeā€™ā€¦I just presumed that with all the hardware changes, and your habit of not throwing out half baked releases, it would be a while before we see anything.

ATM I use a Pi3 headless for running TVHeadend and NFS Server, and a Firestick as the client upstairs, and Vero4K+ in my loungeā€¦itll be nice to ditch the Firestick altogether for the Pi4, amazon STILL havenā€™t sorted 1080i deinterlacing.
That way I can repurpose the Pi3 for something else entirely and have the Pi4 doing the lot upstairs.

Just out of interest, I presume you had your hands on a Pi4 before release but were kept quiet by some sort of NDA?

1 Like

Yes. This is the case with all Pi hardware, with the exception of the Zero which has a slightly different release cycle.

Do you guys believe that OSMC will give a recommendation on the version to pick up when a new image is created for the Pi4?

I have already made such a recommendation.
2GB if you plan to watch 4K. Although, by the time 4K playback is possible, the 2GB model may be a little cheaper.

To me, future proofing is the reason to buy the best appointed device available. Successive updates of Kodi/OSMC have always increased the demand on resources and such low spec devices are always near the edge of being outpaced by the demands of a software that is constantly being developed to increase performance. Besides, the price difference is nothing more than a couple of beers anyway.

Sorry I didnā€™t realise you were one of the coders behind OSMC. Cool :smiley:
Will they be listing the official recommendation along with the image when itā€™s released?

It literally doesnā€™t get any more officialā€¦

https://www.google.com/search?q=who+is+sam+nazarko&oq=who+is+sam+nazarko+osmc

2 Likes

Very Awesome :smiley: But I believe you misunderstood why I asked. It was saying that to help others when they are looking to use OSMC with a Raspberry Pi 4 :wink:

(fixed error)

Then you should suspect that everyone misunderstood because, no where in this thread has retropie been mentioned until now. Also, not sure why we, as OSMC, would make any recommendation for our system based on a what might be necessary to run any random piece of software secondarily as we do not develop or maintain that software. As I said a few posts ago, future proofing will also ensure that more resources are available for secondary tasks/duties that a user might want to assign to their device. It costs 25% more to have a better specā€™d (likely better performing) device now, while youā€™ll pay an additional 125% if you have to replace a 2gb device that falls short.

lol oops sorry OSMC

Also, I find it weird that you kinda chastised me when you said :

ā€œIt literally doesnā€™t get any more officialā€¦
who is sam nazarko - Recherche Googleā€

and then advised me to ignore his recommendations :laughing:

ā€œfuture proofing will also ensure that more resources are available for secondary tasks/duties that a user might want to assign to their device.ā€

I truly do appreciate the advice and the reasoning behind it. It is just slightly ironic.

2GB model will do.