Raspberry Pi 4 Model B announced - OSMC

Sorry @sam_nazarko one question! I’m going to have to buy a raspberry pi today or tomorrow, can I at the moment install osmc in the Pi4? On the download page I only can see as far as the Pi3+.

Thank you

At the time of writing this is not possible.

Do you have any prediction to when will it be available? Soon or later? Just to know if I should buy the Pi4 because it will be soon, or better go with a Pi3+ because it will be later!

Thank you for your work on this

I’ve covered this above and in other posts.

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

I think Sams hesitant to put a timeframe on it as its just used as a stick to beat him with if the window is missed.
Its a completely understandable approach.

It seems a bit daft to buy a Pi3 imo, go for the Pi4 and if you need Kodi that badly just run the LibreElec Alpha until OSMC is ready. Its a bit rough around the edges but its working.

1 Like

I saw that Pimoroni were selling off cheap their remaining stock of Pi3B+ … which could be a reason to go for it.

How cheap?

20GBP but might all be gone now

Thats quite a good deal actually…depending on what you’re planning to use the pi for.

I suggest holding off buying the pi 4 until they do a revision of the board.
From Discover on Google https://www.pcgamer.com/raspberry-pi-admits-it-screwed-up-the-usb-c-port-on-the-newest-model/

Just don’t use an e-marked USB-C cable to power the RPi4. Problem solved.

Exactly, im using the official psu and it works perfectly well.

Why make sure you get the right one
The official Raspberry Pi USB-C power supply is designed to power the latest Raspberry Pi 4 Model B boards, which were released in June 2019.

• 5.1V / 3.0A DC output
  • 96-264Vac operating input range
  • Short circuit, overcurrent and over temperature protection
    1.5m 18 AWG captive cable with USB-C output connector
  • Available in four different models to suit different international power sockets
  • Available in either white or black

Wait a second the new Pi cant do MPEG2 and VC1 with hardware decoding?! Why? :frowning: a lot of old Warner BluRays have VC1 and even newer BluRays have MPEG2 (to my surprise like “Canaries - Kidnapped Into Space” which was released 3 weeks ago) that would be a major drawback to me :frowning:

4 GB would be cool for Windows 10.

Newer Blurays don’t use MPEG2 anymore (maybe a tiny number of unknown releases might), but virtually all I’ve purchased in the last few years are H264. I re-encode all my Blurays to H265 anyway, but I’m sure that as software for the RPi4 progresses it will support VC1 and MPEG2 properly. Remember, the RPi4 is still new.

I posted a BluRay which came out 3 weeks ago and they are more titles out so yes its still used because lazy german companys dont want to pay license fees lol

And these companys are not so “unknown” as you think its just horrible sometimes and i want to see them untouched and not encoded so yeah MPEG2 and VC1 is a major point for me.

Try re-encoding with Handbrake just for fun and see how performs.

I cannot wait to get an OSMC build for the pi 4. I’ve been using Libreelec and there’s no comparison. Just want to thank the OSMC team for not rushing out a build. Your builds are always rock solid because you take the time to get it right the first time. Hope Sam is enjoying his much earned vacation.

It’s probably because the processor is fast enough to decode 1080p in either of those formats in software. Since you’re never going to see either one of those formats used for more than 1080p, it shouldn’t be an issue.

The Pi4 could probably even handle H.264 in software at 1080p, although it would push the CPU a bit.

How does Pi 4 do against 1080i MPEG2/VC1? I assume de-interlacing is done on software too?