Raspberry Pi 5 and OSMC support changes - OSMC

Thanks I thought I was going mad.

HLG should be easier to support than HDR10 as there is no content-related metadata at all to pass - other than ‘I’m in an HLG EOTF’ - no MaxCLL/FALL stuff to worry about.

Hi Sam,

From the message about resintallation for existing Pi users when Debian 12 based OSMC OS got released, am I right to assume that current Vero 4K users would have to do the same in order to get full 64bit environment?

Thanks,

Yes, that is indeed the case.

1 Like

I lost a bit track what Vero and/or PI supports what, has there anyone a sheet to compare those?

And a questen when did you expect a OSMC who works with the new PI5?

When it’s ready.

We need to update to the 6.1 kernel – the rest should all be working.

So I’m ready when you are :smiley:

1 Like

Dipping a toe in the water, mean running Kodi on a Raspbian OS Lite with 6.1 Kernel on a Pi 5, nice things are on the horizon:

• faster booting
  • with the faster Pi I can run any Video Framerate stable with the Pi running on 60FPS (Pi 4 only with 50FPS)
  • I had problems with some Videos in archives now they are gone, no stutter anymore (Pi 4 needs extraction)
  • looks like that some addons are faster with scrolling maybe only subjective perception
  • less CPU load on this

But the system is way bigger than Sam’s (~400 packages) >800 packages with Raspbian OS are installed and all the comfort prepared with the OSMC is missing and has to be done.

Consider this, don’t underestimate Sam’s work

And for anyone who gets panik even is this constellation it only used 1G ram, with HDMI movies

Is there a release date for the new raspberry pi 5 osmc?

When it’s ready.

1 Like

As a developer, I understand that answer :slight_smile:
Thank you for your efforts and amazing work!

I know what needs to be done – it’s just a case of finding the time, testing and getting it out.

Such is life.

1 Like

Is there a way to be notified when OSMC releases?

We make regular announcements on the blog as well as via the newsletter.

Thank you for your quick response.

Hi all, are there some news about OSMC on Raspberry Pi5 or an estimated release date for this device?
Thanks a lot in advance
Christian

I assume the estimate is unchanged

When it’s ready, we will make an announcement.

Many thanks

Sam

2 Likes

I can imaging the work to make an image for Raspberry Pi5 is not simple and immediate.

But i remember you that on 28 september (2023) with this post Raspberry Pi 5 and OSMC support changes - OSMC the OSMC team wrote: “There is not a significant amount of work needed to bring up this device, so we anticipate having a compatible release shortly” and “and now only need to produce an updated kernel with Pi 5 support”…

If i’m not wrong, four months ago, a little bit different from the first “shortly”!
I suggest you to pay attention with date and time future previsions because this is not a professional way of working…

My two cents!

The Raspberry Pi 5 was announced at the end of September with early deliveries to begin in early November for a limited number of customers.

There are a limited number of people that have received one yet, so there is less pressure to support this device immediately. Most people can’t get one yet. Furthermore, the Pi 4 is probably more subtable for playback than Pi 5 in most use cases.

Raspberry Pi is still supported on a best effort basis, free of charge. I am the only developer for Raspberry Pi here at the moment and I don’t think anyone else on the team has a Pi 5. We have Kodi v21, Debian Bookworm and the move to ARM64 userland to contemplate with. That’s a lot of changes in a short period time. I’ll slot the Pi 5 support in around this when I have time.

Most of the work is done but the kernel needs updating. If anyone wants to volunteer I’d be much obliged.

If you want a product with long term and guaranteed support commitments then you could look at the Vero V. All developers on our team have one and the device funds the development of OSMC so we are able to prioritise work on it.

Out of curiosity - when did you get your Pi and have you considered using the Pi supported and Pi funded Pi OS for now? For sure I am not sure it was four months ago as you claimed

3 Likes

This is unfortunately the same situation as it was with the raspberry pi 4, 5 years ago. pity I like OSMC…
at the moment if someone doesn’t want libreelec then besides the raspberry pi os option there is Xbian which has a version compatible with RPI5 - based on debian 12 bookworm arch64 and kodi 21 beta 2 .
It works very cool…
Perhaps in a year or two OSMC will get to this stage too