Raspberry Pi 5 and OSMC support changes - OSMC

Today, Raspberry Pi announced the release of Raspberry Pi 5, the latest iteration of their small board computer.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://osmc.tv/2023/09/raspberry-pi-5-and-osmc-support-changes
1 Like

Good news definitely!
Dear Seam, which kind of support/features OSMC is planning to provide compared to Vero V?

I’m not sure I fully understand your question. It will be supported like Raspberry Pi 4.

Sam

There’s no longer a dedicated hardware H264 decode? That’s disappointing. My Pi 2 is still good for that.

My question was related to the fact the new hardware could get some new features compared to Rev.4.

Correct. If you look at it that way however, the Pi 2 /3 also has support for VC-1 and MPEG2 decode in hardware which Pi 4 / 5 do no have. But they do OK.

Formats like AV-1, H264, VP9 will play at 1080p in software. The Pi will get quite warm however, and you will likely need an active cooling solution.

The Pi 5 has a significant number of improvements and changes, particularly in responsiveness when browsing the GUI.

For the workload of hardware accelerated playback, there haven’t been changes there. Their focus is on an overall computing environment, not a media player.

1 Like

We developed and released Vero V with the full knowledge of the upcoming Pi 5 spec.

So comparatively we have hardware decode (so we can passively cool) of H264, MPEG2, VC-1, VP-9, AV-1, HDR → SDR tonemapping and support for modern HDR technologies (HDR10+; HLG). A few more bits like Widevine L1 and HDCP2.2 in the pipeline…

But Pi’s goal isn’t to be a media player. The Pi 5 does make a good desktop computer and is very performant in that role.

2 Likes

I feel that the best time for the Pi and OSMC as a media player was with the Pi 2 or 3 with Kodi 18. Since then, features have been removed or hampered.

Do you have a vague ETA on the complete 64-bit environment? Thanks

This is what was quoted. I guess it depends on many other factors and to give a schedule would be a guess and misleading.

1 Like

At the moment there isn’t a stable version of Raspbian 12 (Debian 12) in the official websit, indeed i ask myself why it isn’t available althought it was released three mounths ago.
Maybe they waited to publish this version for Raspberry Pi to due to Raspberry Pi 5 launch?
Maybe something related to the kernel 6 version? I don’t know, but i am very happy to know OSMC will be on Debian 12 soon with 64 bit architecture :slight_smile:

OSMC isn’t based on Raspberry Pi OS, so our release of Debian 12 will occur on a different schedule. We will focus on Debian 11 first and get the board up[ and running.

We updated the target installer to handle newer kernels (6.1 is needed for Pi 5); have added support for Raspberry Pi 5’s new GPU to our MESA packages and now only need to produce an updated kernel with Pi 5 support.

Can you share a few details about the difference in how you compile in support for RPi5?
I currently build it like this for RPi4B:

local meson_options=(
    -D android-libbacktrace=disabled
    -D b_lto=true
    -D b_ndebug=true
    -D dri3=enabled
    -D egl=enabled
    -D gallium-drivers=r300,r600,radeonsi,freedreno,nouveau,swrast,virgl,zink,d3d12,etnaviv,kmsro,lima,panfrost,svga,v3d,vc4
    -D gallium-extra-hud=true
    -D gallium-nine=true
    -D gallium-omx=bellagio
    -D gallium-opencl=icd
    -D gallium-rusticl=true
    -D gallium-va=enabled
    -D gallium-vdpau=enabled
    -D gallium-xa=disabled
    -D gbm=enabled
    -D gles1=disabled
    -D gles2=enabled
    -D glvnd=true
    -D glx=dri
    -D intel-clc=disabled
    -D libunwind=disabled
    -D llvm=enabled
    -D lmsensors=enabled
    -D microsoft-clc=disabled
    -D osmesa=true
    -D platforms=x11,wayland
    -D rust_std=2021
    -D shared-glapi=enabled
    -D valgrind=enabled
    -D video-codecs=vc1dec,h264dec,h264enc,h265dec,h265enc
    -D vulkan-drivers=amd,swrast,broadcom,panfrost,virtio-experimental
    -D vulkan-layers=device-select,overlay
  )

arch-meson mesa-$pkgver build "${meson_options[@]}"
meson configure build
meson compile -C build

DESTDIR="${srcdir}/fakeinstall" meson install -C build

See https://github.com/osmc/osmc/blob/master/package/mesa-osmc/build.sh

Keep in mind that I have a downstream patch for Pi5 support as the support is not upstreamed yet.

1 Like

Is there a possibility that OSMC will support the different HDR technologies also on PI5?

No - unfortunately tonemapping and HDR10+ and HLG are not possible.

thanks Sam for the clarification. What a pity that RP5 cannot be used to play HDR content in future. That would have been the perfect combination for me as I also need to GPIO pins for some projects

It isn’t completely lacking support. The RPi 4 can play HDR10 to an HDR TV so I would assume the 5 will have the same ability. As Sam mentioned though, there are HDR features that the Vero hardware supports that the RPi’s don’t.

Hi Sam - confused about the HLG comment - can you clarify.

The Pi4B supports HLG currently (just checked a 2160p25 Rec 2020 HLG file in LibreElec and it’s triggering my UHD HDR Sony TV into HLG HDR mode fine as expected)

Is the Pi5 no longer supporting HLG? Or is this just HLG not supported on the Pi 4B and Pi 5 in OSMC?

I understood HDR10+ not to be supported on the Pi 4B - but HLG and HDR10 both are?

You’re right - HLG is working with hardware decoded HEVC but obviously HDR10+ and tonemapping HDR to SDR are not.

Sam