RaspBMC to OSMC and Pi1B to Pi2B, how to keep settings?

I have an old 256 MB RAM Pi1B, which runs RaspBMC and XBMC 13.2 in my home installation.
The videos are played from file located on a Synology DS212j NAS.
I now want to upgrade to OSMC latest version but I don’t know how to preserve the settings that makes the system work over the network towards the NAS and also to keep the add-ons and skin I use now (Amber).
Is there a description on how to do this somewhere?

I would recommend starting fresh given how old your setup is.

It should not be too challenging to set up the NAS again (should just be a matter of adding it as a source in Kodi), and we are happy to help here if you have any issues.

Sam

OK thanks. I did set up a fresh Pi2B with OSMC RC2 a month or so ago to have at my summer house.
That is working well so I might as well repeat the effort…
But it used a local USB drive of 1TB rather than a network connected NAS.

I’m in almost the same position as you however seagate goflex home 3tb nas instead of synology.
I also have Pi1B but 512MB RAM.

I will be putting up a HowTo up soon regarding OSMC install and in the process I will need to get the NAS working happily again so will be sure to detail and document it for my own future needs.

I will post back here once I’ve done it but will likely be by a week monday - i need to get a larger sd card as 128MB is too small for OSMC (EDIT: SD+USB setups) as it needs a minimum of 512MB sd card.

It is very easy to use a NAS as a Source through UPNP or DLNA but on RaspBMC I used a custom hack to be able to mount the NAS directorys with read/write access in SMB or NFS if I recall correctly. I did this so I could download from online sources directly to the NAS drive from the RaspBMC/XBMC/RPi and I hope I can get this functionality back on OSMC/Kodi.

How did you used to access your NAS content on your old setup?

Well, I created (with some difficulty I must say) a connection to the VIDEO share on my NAS via Samba. So I can use this share as a source of the files, which I navigate to by clicking into the directory structure.
I have never understood the idea of a database backed “library” for my locally stored files…

Regarding the size of SD-cards, I really doubt the size limit 512 MB you state. The OSMC RC2 image itself is about 1.3 GB in size and when it installs it expands…
I use a 16 GB card but I think that an 8 GB one will also work…

1 Like

Not a size limit but a minimum SD card size requirement for sdcard+USB installs where the sdcard just does the boot. There is a thread with a comment from Sam himself stating that if you want a USB install the SD card for the boot needs to be at least 512MB in size.
I was using a 128MB SD card as boot for RaspBMC on a Pi and according to Sam it will be too small for OSMC boot but he did say 512MB should be a workable minimum for OSMC boot.
I’m just talking about setups where the user has the sdcard doing the boot then handing off to a usb thumb which has OSMC on it and everything else.
Sorry it was my lack of clarity that made it look like I was trying to just squeeze OSMC onto a tiny SD card - I should have added the most important part - its a SD card + USB setup!

As I said before I am sure for my NAS I set it up for SMB or NFS and yes I have to agree with you, it was NOT easy!

If you are wanting to do this again and get stuck let me know as I am sure I have my notes in step by step format still in a notepad file. Like I said though, I shall be doing a guide soon and will post it on this forum by next Monday once I have done it all for OSMC on the RPi 1 Model B 512MB RAM as a USB install with the SD card doing boot and USB doing OSMC.

As for database backed library, I am not sure of the appeal either entirely but I may look into doing it later on down the line as I know it can be useful to keep it once on the NAS (where all the media is) then have 2+ HTPCs or Pi’s dotted around the house and then all they do is point to the single, central, database library on the NAS for their sources - main bonus I see from the db is only one library to maintain for multiple HTPCs.

For simplicities sake I recommend you stick with an SD card. Further to this: we will eventually move to an SDHOST driver, which promises much greater read and write speeds.

The USB option for Raspbmc was created when corruption was prominent on SD cards. Now it’s kept simply as a matter of convenience.

Cheers

Sam