Raspi3: High bitrate .mkv files freezing

You have a bit of a Frankenmount defined there. :wink: It’s part SMB and part NFS.

The format of an NFS /etc/fstab entry will be something like:

192.168.192.18:/nfs/Public/FILMS.OLD /mnt/FILMS.OLD nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro 0 0

In this example, it’s being mounted read-only. You can include iocharset=utf8 as an additional option if you need support for Unicode characters.

You will also need to configure the NFS server.

Hi Thanks,

Okee so i added the lines from your suggestion in the fstab which looks like this now :

/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot vfat defaults,noatime,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0

192.168.192.18:/nfs/Public/FILMS.OLD /mnt/FILMS.OLD nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro 0 0
192.168.192.18:/nfs/NIEUW /mnt/NIEUW nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro 0 0
192.168.192.18:/nfs/MORE.MOVIES /mnt/MORE.MOVIES nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro 0 0

In the console i did a sudo mount -a which returned nothing. Does this means anything good ?

In OSMC i cant see anything added in the library. Do i need to do more steps, like doing the following:

mkdir –p /mnt/NIEUW
mkdir –p /mnt/MORE.MOVIES
mkdir –p /mnt/FILMS.OLD

Im a bit lost here at the moment i think :slight_smile:

You can create the mount points, eg /mnt/NIEUW, but they will be created by the automount option if they don’t exist.

If you haven’t done so already, you need to configure your server for NFS sharing. Since you mention NFS in the first post, I assume you have done this.

Instead of running mount -a to mount everything, try sudo mount /mnt/NIEUW and see what happens in the system journal (sudo journalctl).

I put the references in double ,since im not sure which one is needed, like under:

192.168.192.18:/nfs/HD_a2/Public/FILMS.OLD /mnt/HD_a2/Public/FILMS.OLD nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro 0 0
192.168.192.18:/nfs/HD_a2/NIEUW /mnt/NIEUW nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro 0 0
192.168.192.18:/nfs/HD_a2/MORE.MOVIES /mnt/MHD_a2/MORE.MOVIES nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro 0

192.168.192.18:/nfs/MORE.MOVIES /mnt/MORE.MOVIES nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro 0

I disconnected the SMB from windows to get a clearer picture.

if i do the sudo mount -a i never het any respons.

When i go to the /mnt folder i just see the old references (folders) … not working yet

Its to late now … will continue tomorrow when i can. If anyone has any pointers for me id be delighted :slight_smile:

I made a clean install of the OSMC to the raspi3.

I looked in the NAS’s NFS values and it should be the following lines:

192.168.192.18:/nfs/MORE.MOVIES /mnt/MORE.MOVIES nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro 0

I put these lines in the fstab file rebooted the raspi and i DO see the mountpoints now ! So this is great already.

Only now i dont know what the following steps need to be, i mean can i just look up the NFS, like before in Files > Add videos ? I do not see them anywhere in OSMC so its not clear how to handle now.

Can anyone push me in the right direction ?

Files → Add Videos → Browse → Root Filesystem → mnt → …

Ok now i tested the same file as i did before but now with the nfs auto mount from fstab.

The result is worse. The video freezes more quick and stays like this. I had to use the WinSCP program to get the log:

In addidion here is a log made from a lower bitrate movie, it is freezing now also:

Hi,

Try it with the kodi video cache, as well as fstab mounted shares.

Thanks Tom.

Hi,

The advancedvideosettings.xml holds these lines, dont you mean this ?:

157286400 1 5.0

btw, its strange. but i just mounted an smb … and the audition file is now still playing, didnt crash yet … go figure…
… Ah it now freezes after 12 min into the movie, instead of 5 …

Hi,

20:21:24.028 T:1959059456   ERROR: Error loading special://profile/advancedsettings.xml, no <advancedsettings> node

Can you please post the full contents advancesettings.xml?

Thanks Tom.

Hi Tom,

The only tex ti have in that file is the following:

<cache>
		<memorysize>157286400</memorysize>
		<buffermode>1</buffermode>
		<readfactor>5.0</readfactor>
	</cache>

btw it doesnt show here the opening and closing brackets <> </> but they are in the file

Filename: advancedsettings.xml

I just added the advancedsettings in opening and closing brackets <> </> so it looks like this now:

<advancedsettings>
<cache>
		<memorysize>157286400</memorysize>
		<buffermode>1</buffermode>
		<readfactor>5.0</readfactor>
	</cache>
</advancedsettings>

You need to format the data with the </> “Preformatted text” button or it won’t show.

`Ah i see, thanks :slight_smile:

Hi,

Now that the advancedsettings tags have been added, is there any improvement?

Thanks Tom.

Hi, no :frowning: : 23:07:44.228 T:1958588416 NOTICE: initialize done23:07:44.228 T:1958588416 N - Pastebin.com

Hi,

I think there is a network issue, I would try a different network cable. A few more details about network setup would help:

Is your pi connected directly to the router?
If not is there a switch?
Or are you using network over the mains plugs?

Thanks Tom.

Hi,

The Pi and the NAS are directly connected to the router. The NAS is brand new its a WDMyCloudEX2Ultra
Cable of the nas is new and the other is almost not used.

Im using the ‘Horizon box’ from ZIggo, in the netherlands here (Maybe youve heard of issues regarding this box )

The box is also almost new btw, think 1 month or so…Its a TV /Modem combo things GB ports though

Hi,

The age of a network doesn’t stop it from being faulty, I would try a different cable for the pi at least.

Sorry I don’t what Horizon box’ from ZIggo is

Thanks Tom.

Check your network throughput with iperf

Hi, i installed iperf on the pi and i installed in om my W10 laptop.

Hi there,

I start the server on W10 with: iperf3.exe -s (Server listening on port 5201)

I start the client on the pi with: iperf -c s-192.168.192.60

My questions are now:

Should there not be running something on the NAS ?

What should be measured now ? Could you clearify please and maybe also have the usable commands ?

Thanks