Really unstable Vero 4k

Hi,

I bough my Vero 4K on April 2018 and never had any major issues until very recently.
Sometimes it takes forever to boot… led stays red for a lot of time, then blue comes up a few times alternating with red and in TV I can see HDMI signal coming on and off multiple times…
Other times it never gets to to main menu at all and the led in the box stays red, blinking randomly.
I managed to get some logs when the system booted to main menu in different times:

In the first log it is possible to see this consecutive lines, with a huge time difference:

[   11.079988] meson_uart c81004c0.serial: ttyS0 use xtal(8M) 24000000 change 115200 to 115200
    [ 2619.870470] usb 1-2: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci-hcd

In second log it is not that long:

[   11.578978] meson_uart c81004c0.serial: ttyS0 use xtal(8M) 24000000 change 115200 to 115200
    [  157.055585] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci-hcd

In third log, without any usb devices attached:

[   10.901824] meson_uart c81004c0.serial: ttyS0 use xtal(8M) 24000000 change 115200 to 115200
    [  196.223866] audio_dsp: buf=0

I’m no expert on OSMC system (intermediate unix user here) and these logs may not mean anything, (something else may be in the logs that I missed), but my 20 years as software developer tell me something is not quite right around this area.

In one of the times before I installed previous version, I managed to take a photo from my TV with some warning/errors (https://imgur.com/a/dUel4Sq):
“Dependency failed for Local File System”
“Timeout waiting for device …”
“Failed to start Create Volatile Files and Directory”

Also, I am not really sure why, but it doesn’t look like I can boot from USB drive with recovery image anymore, even pressing the hidden “reset” button for 30 seconds (I was able to re-install previous version from November 2019 and update to latest version)

I hope someone that knows how to read the logs (and what to look for) can help with this.
Thank you for your help!

Helder

Hi

Don’t press the reset (toothpick) button unless necessary, or you can corrupt the eMMC environment which will prevent booting from external media.

By the sounds of your problems, I’d suggest powering the device with another (5V, 2A power supply) or via USB cable instead.

Also check that you are using the correct PSU – the 4K and 4K + will blink a red light if they are receiving too high a voltage.

Sam

Thank you for the quick reply Sam!
I believe I’m using the original power supply: https://imgur.com/a/cRLl2iQ
Are you saying it could be faulty? I don’t think I have another one with the round connector.
How would I power via USB cable?

Helder

That looks good.

You could try a USB-A cable.

Hi Sam,

I’m a bit confused. If I use a USB-A cable to power up, where do I connect the cable? In same USB port where I connect the pen drive/keyboard?
Thanks.

Helder

Yes.

Power down the device and disconnect the original power supply first.

Hi Sam,

Didn’t update on this because I was waiting for a new power supply.
Indeed, it was a faulty power supply. With the new one, everything works.
Thanks for your help.

Helder

1 Like