Realtek 8811cu

Hello world, i am having issues connecting 2.4/5 WiFi doongle to my pi3 running latest OSMC, on my PC i connected the doongle and in device manager it is recognised as REALTEK 8811CU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC but nothing happens when connecting to the pi3, i tried turning off the internal WiFi but that caused more issues than anything else because the doongle didn’t get recognised so i had to re flash osmc on the sd card to get back online
I placed the dmesg log below :slight_smile:

http://paste.osmc.io/abasejapob.vhdl

Doing a quick search it looks like no linux kernel driver available for that Dongle.
So I guess you are out of luck unless you find a driver somewhere.

Assuming that you just disabled it by changing the config.txt you could have reversed that change easily with out a reflash.

Yes i figured that out a bit too late :smiley:
The only driver i managed to find for this is on Realtek 8811CU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC Wi-Fi device drivers | Download for Windows 7, XP, 10, 11, 8, and 8.1 | DriverPack but don’t think thats gonna help me too much with anything :frowning:

Yep that driver is of no use unless someone writes a wrapper.

Should have gone for the OSMC AC Dongle that guarantees support :wink:

I wanted to until i saw the size of the thing, just way too big for my liking, thank you very much for the provided info :slight_smile:

Wait, it seems that drivers for rtl8812au should work with 8811cu, at least judging by this:

Needs to be compiled though.

Thank you!! Could you just navigate me me somewhere to learn how to do that? Just so i have a general sence on what needs to be done :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I just think it’s a reference for a different module.

Oh, sorry @Radusinborna for giving false hope then :slight_smile: