Reboot required after watching 1 episode or switching channels

This is going to be a tricky one, I think…
My Vero 4k works pretty ok. I installed IP TV on top of the standard stuff and installed Spotify, Netflix and Disney+ addons - all 3 work very well. I mention them just to inform you guys my installation is not standard anymore.

What IS standard is the ability to watch videos from my NAS. It’s an old bird, but still fully functional. Using NFS, I am able to watch everything on it. All, but just 1 episode. For met to watch a second movie/episode, I need to first reboot the system. So:

• 1 movie
  • 1 episode of a series
  • and also, 1 channel on IP-TV
    Selecting the next movie or episode or switching channels always ends up with me requiring to reboot the Vero, after which the story repeats.

Behavior is, for the movies and Series:
After clicking on the next video, the screen turns black and ‘buffering’ is displayed. This stays on for a very long (indefinite?) time.
TV-channels: more or less the same behavior, but most of the time OSMC displays a message that the IP-TV Proxy server is incorrectly configured, mostly due to initial configuration without a reboot. Obviously, this is not the case.

I initially thought the issue was separate, being that the TV-channel thing was not related to the movie/series issue, which lead me to believe that perhaps my older NAS (with an old version of NFS) might be the reason (time outs or whatever; I’ve seen posts about these types of issues with SMB shares). Obviously, this is still a possibility, but after thinking it thru, I do think this might be related.

In conclusion, I have a similar setup running on a different system, Win10 based. The Addons I use are the same. So far, I have not encountered the same behavior.

Please find the logs here: https://paste.osmc.tv/idudivecib

Thank you all for your support, appreciated!!

Edit 12-03-2021:

I still have this issue, every time I look at 1 episode, change a channel in IPTC, watch a movie, I need to reboot. Really annoying, stopping me from buying another Vero. Have a NUC with the same add-ons installed but running Windows10: no issue whatsoever!

Anyway, I created a new log. This time, I let it run along for a couple of days, so it should even include the regular reboots i am doing.

Please find the log here: https://paste.osmc.tv/erukivaseq

Please enable debug logging so we can see what the issue is in more detail. Then reboot, play an episode and when it works, stop it. Then play a new episode, when it doesn’t work, re-upload logs.

I’ve got an issue that seems to be the same. Often on x265 files for my MySQL database it seems…
But it does do it every time…

Well same advice

1 Like

I have been able to replicate the problem. Full log can be found here:
https://paste.osmc.tv/yezuyatupa

• Did a full reboot
  • Played a file. Of course, this time the 2nd file did play normally
  • Stopped half way, went to PVR, got an error message of the PVR proxy not being configured correctly. This happens a lot also, but not always
  • Went back to play the file I stopped: buffering endlessly
  • Rebooted
  • Started PVR, no problem

Here is my log.
https://paste.osmc.tv/ukidihaxap.vhdl

Well it is not a Debug log and also only the Kodi log. And it may help if you give some details which file you tried to play.

What I can see in the current file is:
CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
Got MSGQ_ABORT or MSGO_IS_ERROR return true

Which could be either a network issue or a SMB client issue.
Suggest to:

1. Test your network with iperf3 (see below)
  2. Try setting Settings -> Services -> SMB Client -> Mitigate MTU issues with SMBv2

My issue is not related to database issues. I am not using SQL as central storage.

I still encounter the issue every time I use OSMC, to a point I am finding myself using the device less and less, purely out of annoyance.

Anyway, I was wondering if my log is ok for further analysis. If not, please let me know.

I am currently contemplating on a full reinstall but, as I don’t have a lot of time, I won’t be able to do so until next weekend…

I’m sorry then to interfere with your thread.
I’ll open a new one if I still have the same problem.

I’ll look at fzinken suggestion . Thanks!!

No problem :slight_smile:

Just hope there is a solution for my problem as well :wink:

I think you have your display settings incorrectly configured somehow. From your log…

Whitelist search for: width: 3840, height: 1604, fps: 23.976, 3D: false
NOTICE: Display resolution ADJUST : 1920x1080 @ 60.00i - Full Screen (16) (weight: 0.000)

You shouldn’t be outputting interlaced and forcing a downscale and resample at the same time is a big ask, and will only have negative effects on picture quality. Please adjust to the following…

Settings>System>Display>Resolution> 1920x1080p
Settings>System>Display>Whitelist> (empty)
Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate> On start/stop

Thx, i’ll try that, but the problem is that my tv always have a pb to scale with 1080p and often let black bars or cropped borders.
No more pb since i put in 1080i…

• my video output is made through an old 5.1 AV reciever. HDMI is 1.4, so it is a bit limited, no 4k possible… But i took the option “adjust on start/stop” anyway. so my movies are in 1080p i think (i should verify).

You probably need to disable overscan in your TV’s settings. The details of how to do that depend on the make of your TV as they seem to use quite a few different words to describe the function. Once you do that your cropping problem should be gone assuming you didn’t mess around with calibration in Kodi. Interlaced output should not be used in all situations.

I could see that you only had HD resolution available and that is fine and the Vero is capable of downscaling that. The issue was that without the refresh rate setting, or with it when your UI is set to interlaced (which I think breaks the refresh rate switching) it is also trying to change the frame rate and this is detrimental to quality.

As a matter of fact, I did disable overscan on my Samsung TV (adjust screen auto/enable/disable) but sometimes it is cropped, sometimes I have black bars around the screen. I had to change everytime the setting on the TV and it never stay the same… That was strange.

However I will not post again here, because it is not my thread.
Thx for your advices.^^

Should be other setting on Samsung called “Screenfit”

I just translated from french.^^

Hi Sam,

I would really appreciate you investigating the logs as I am really out of my wits here. The only thing I can think of in doing is a full fresh install… I’d rather not, as you can imagine.

As said, I am using another device (NUC) with the same addons on it, not having this issue at all. Yes, it’s also Kodi 18.9. It does run on Windows 10; that’s essentially the difference.

Thanks,
Ron

Hi Ron,

Sorry – managed to miss this somehow.
Did you restore your Kodi userdata from another device? If so – I think that might be the issue here.

Sam

Hi Sam

Actually, I stopped watching TV via OSMC. The addon is no longer supported for kodi 18 and Ziggo changed something, rendering the addon useless.

That didn’t drive the issue.

I did a full reset and restored a backup. For some reason I had issues after that with the Disney+ and Netflix addon. After reinstalling them - and installing a new version of Widevine - things improved. It’s not fully gone, though. Just happens less often.

I can only conclude there is ‘something wrong’ with Widevine, but obviously, that’s all I can really say about it…

Perhaps we should just wait for kodi 19 to drop in the OSMC and see if things improve.

Reg Ron

That makes sense – as Kodi v18.x is end of life.