Recommendations for GUI Refresh Rate?

It still matters what your GUI refresh rate is. I’m assuming 60 would be the smoothest, but what is the 59.94 option there for?

Sorry for bumping old thread but I’m wondering how the refresh rate of the skin GUI works.

Does it switch refresh rate lower depending on demand of skin. Have it set to 60hz but skin only ranges at 30hz when browsing which results in choppy animations.

Using aeon mq skin on rpi4.

Is there advanced setting to keep it locked at 60hz?

Where are you seeing these refresh rates? If it’s using the debug overlay, this is intentionally capped at a few fps and isn’t representative of the UI itself.

If it just feels sluggish in general, then the device may be struggling to keep up with the skin. You could try a lighter skin.

Just my two cents but I think the best recommendation for the GUI refresh rate is to match that of your display.
If you have “Adjust Refresh Rate” enabled then the player will switch to match your content regardless of your GUI refresh rate.
As an example, my TV is 4K, but they don’t recommend using that resolution for the skin so since the GUI is set to 1080p I set my refresh rate to 120 since that’s the highest supported refresh rate at that resolution.
When I play a UHD, it auto switches to 4k/23.976 or a regular BD the resolution stays at 1080p but refresh rate changes to 23.976.
I’m not sure the skin runs at a framerate higher than 60 so not sure it makes a difference, but I’m set to 120.
@Chillbo might be able to chime in on if there’s any gains going from 60 to 120.
But I can’t see a reason for running it any lower than what your native screen refresh rate is unless you have some issues with switching like some projectors do I guess.

Honestly, no idea. It might just come down to what the CPU can handle… Not sure you’ll actually get 120 frames out of the Kodi skin engine running on SoCs like those of our Veros or a RPi.

Generally, I’d set the GUI framerate to a compromise of what you’re mostly whatching (thus avoiding too many framerate switches) and what’s the smoothest: For me this is 59.94Hz as I watch a lot of YouTube content that’s mostly either at 29.97Hz (thus sent to my FHD TV at 59.94Hz) or natively at 59.94Hz and 23.976Hz is simply too slugish for me.