Remote Control stopped working

This update on my vero4k caused my osmc remote to stop working. Where can I get a clue how to fix it?

@simonsonjh Hi,

I split your post from the OSMC October 2018 thread. Please, provide some more information, so we can help:

• What remote control you use like original shipped with the box, has it volume buttons, 3rd party, etc.

In nearly all cases a drained battery is the reason for issues with the remote, so first easy action would be to replace the battery.

It is an original osmc remote. The battery is good. It stopped right after I installed the October upgrade. I do have a custom remote.xml file to remap a couple keys.

Well, we heard that so many times that users are convinced to work with a “good/fresh” battery but after an RMA it figures out it was again a drained one.

1. In case the battery is “good”, try a Re-Pairing the Original Black RF Remote Control

2. If this also fails to work, we need logs, try to navigate through the menus using a connected USB keyboard, Android apps like Kore or YATSE:

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

So, in summary:

• activate the logging, also activate component-specific and event logging; the settings-level in the GUI’s system->settings menu should be at least standard for this
  • reboot the OSMC device
  • reproduce the issue
  • upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A
  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

Nothing changed in the update that would affect a black OSMC remote, and mine is certainly still working.

Do you still see the blue light in the top of the transparent window flash on when you press a button ?

As a test, plug the USB receiver into a PC (may work on a Mac as well) then try pressing the direction buttons while you are editing a text document - the direction buttons should work exactly like arrow keys on a keyboard and the OK button will act like the Enter/Return key.

1 Like

Finally it is working. I removed and inserted the USB receiver a couple times, then the remote started talking again. Maybe just a bad connection in the USB port. But thanks for all the quick replies and detailed instructions. I am very happy with Osmc and Vero 4k.

1 Like

I’m glad this is working for you again.