Remote controller

Hi,
some keys on my remote controller stopped working (i can’t go right and down). The others keys are working as normal. I can use my TV controller to go right and down but i would like to use only one remote so the question is : Is there a “compatible” remote controller or i have to buy the specific remote from osmc ?

Thanks
Mattia

You can use another remote, but it won’t be supported in an official capacity.

Have you tried re-pairing the remote and changing the battery?

Had you played around with the keymaps at all either manually or via the Keymap Editor add-on where you may have accidentally reprogrammed those buttons?

Although you can use a variety of different type of remotes with OSMC a key advantage to using the OSMC branded one is that it has been highly refined to the environment with both OSMC and LibreElec. Once you plug it it there are special modifications that load up in the background that tweak how it works so it operates more like a bespoke remote that would come with a standalone electronic device rather than a generic universal remote. Basically the tweaking and refining is done for you so it is a plug in and go type of affair. If you bought a similar generic remote likely you would have most buttons working and doing what you expected in most screens but to get better than that you would have a learning curve and a bit of a project on your hands to tweak it.

I tried to re- pairing it and also replace the battery without luck. I bought a cheap 3€ remote from aliexpress and it was delerived this morning anyway it seems it’s not recognized by osmc. The remote model is CV98LM and is compatible with amazon fire stick. Can i use this remote in some ways ?

Thanks
Mattia

No idea - I’d suggest checking with the manufacturer if they have a driver.

Hi,

I think you need to pair via bluetooth, you probably need to map the keys as well.

Regards Tom.

Hi, in fact i was able to pair it using bluetooth as you suggested. Now i’m facing the problem that this remote doesn’t have volume + and - key and i would like to map two other buttons (forward and rewind) as volume + and -.
I mean all the buttons are mapped correctly already i just need to modify these two buttons from the original osmc remote configuration file that i’m currently using.

UPDATE:
i’ve tried to create a new configuration file copying the original osmc conf and assigned
KEY_VOLUMEUP 0x1B
KEY_VOLUMEDOWN 0x1A
which originally were assigned to KEY_FASTFORWARD and KEY_REWIND and were working as expected .
Now these two buttons doesn’t work anymore. I can’t fastforward on rewind but i can’t increase or decrease volume either.
Is there something else i need to modify ?

Thanks
Mattia

Hi,

Try moving the conf file to:-

/home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymap/remote.xml

Regards Tom.

I gave a look at remote.xml layout and doesn’t seem to have nothing to do with the .conf file i modified in /etc/lirc folder …

Hi,

I believe that config file is for Infrared r
emotes. It may be easier to use the keymap editor:-

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor

Regards Tom.

Are you sure that at that point you had only changed a conf file. I’ve never owned a BT remote but I’m pretty sure they don’t go through lircd so that shouldn’t have had any effect at all. If that was the only thing you changed then just change it back so you have ff/rw working again. You can keymap it in Kodi. To best advise since I don’t have one of those remotes if you could reboot twice then turn on debug logging, press ff a couple times, press rw a couple of times, then upload logs and post the url here that should allow me to figure out which key is being sent so I can let you know which tweaks need to be done. It may need to be mapped in more than one window.

1 Like

Thanks for the help!
I confirm that the only thing i changed was the conf file in the remote section of MyOSMC and now that i reverted it back to the original FF and Rewind are working again.

Here is the relevant part of the log (at least i think) :

2023-06-16 10:34:02.336 T:2907 debug : LIRC: - NEW d0 0 KEY_FASTFORWARD linux-input-layer (KEY_FASTFORWARD)
2023-06-16 10:34:02.354 T:2905 debug : HandleKey: red (0xe3) pressed, window 10016, action is FastForward
2023-06-16 10:34:02.606 T:2907 debug : LIRC: - NEW d0 0 KEY_FASTFORWARD linux-input-layer (KEY_FASTFORWARD)
2023-06-16 10:34:02.634 T:2905 debug : HandleKey: red (0xe3) pressed, window 10016, action is FastForward
2023-06-16 10:34:02.854 T:2907 debug : LIRC: - NEW d0 0 KEY_FASTFORWARD linux-input-layer (KEY_FASTFORWARD)
2023-06-16 10:34:02.890 T:2905 debug : HandleKey: red (0xe3) pressed, window 10016, action is FastForward
2023-06-16 10:34:03.551 T:2907 debug : LIRC: - NEW a8 0 KEY_REWIND linux-input-layer (KEY_REWIND)
2023-06-16 10:34:03.559 T:2905 debug : HandleKey: info (0xe2) pressed, window 10016, action is Rewind
2023-06-16 10:34:03.798 T:2907 debug : LIRC: - NEW a8 0 KEY_REWIND linux-input-layer (KEY_REWIND)
2023-06-16 10:34:03.837 T:2905 debug : HandleKey: info (0xe2) pressed, window 10016, action is Rewind
2023-06-16 10:34:04.023 T:2907 debug : LIRC: - NEW a8 0 KEY_REWIND linux-input-layer (KEY_REWIND)

is this what you needed ?

Thanks
Mattia

Huh, I’ll be damned. I guess it does go through lircd. It also looks like it is one of those cases where Kodi does not log the key presses correctly. I would install the Keymap Editor add-on (install from repository and it is in the program section) and then edit>global>music and then assign those two keys to the volume. Then you will just press back a few time until you get to the first screen and hit save. If this then gets it working only when your not playing a video then go back and do the same thing but instead of global also add it to the four fullscreen* windows as well as visualizations (the is full screen audio playback).

1 Like

Thanks !
I followed your advices and now i’ve working volume keys!

Thanks !!!

Mattia

1 Like

Glad to hear. So just out of curiosity, if you…
cat ~/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/gen.xml
did that map using a <remote> or <keyboard> tag?