Remote not working on OSMC

I have OSMC set up on the Pi zero 2W and connected to my tv, and by plugging in a keyboard I can use and access everything just fine. But when I try to use the remote that pairs with my TV it just doesn’t recognize it and doesn’t do anything. I tried replacing the batteries, using a phone tv remote app, switching cables, checked that it’s connected to HDMI1 and went through every setting in OSMC, but to no avail. I might be stupid because I couldn’t find anyone else with this issue, but I seriously don’t know what else I could try. Cheers!

Is your TV CEC compatible?
Are you using a CEC compatible HDMI cable?

Thanks for the reply! It’s not a new TV by any means, but the only site I found mentioning CEC/Anynet+ says it should have it. As for the HDMI cable, it’s almost definitely compatible if the TV from 2007 is. Could this be some sort of setting i have to enable?

Depends on the TV.

I don’t think a lot of cables in 2007 supported CEC as standard.

It’s a pretty new cable, should only be a couple of years old. Is there any way to directly tell if the cable supports it, or can it only be found out on the box of it?

Pi Zero uses micro HDMI,no? Cheap micro HDMI cables and adapters have been known to be problematic.

1 Like

Hadn’t thought of that.

It wouldn’t be uncommon in an older TV for CEC to be disabled by default. There should be a setting in the TV’s menu to turn it on or off.

I went through every single available setting in the TV (which is not many), but there was nothing about CEC. There were greyed out sections, but I don’t think it would be hiding in there. I guess it’s just a cheap cable. Thanks anyway everyone!

A lot of TV 's use brand specific language…

• AOC: E-link
  • Emerson: Fun-Link
  • Funai: Fun-Link
  • Hitachi: HDMI-CEC
  • Insignia: INlink
  • ITT: T-Link
  • LG: SimpLinkSimpLink
  • Magnavox: Fun-Link
  • Mitsubishi: NetCommand for HDMI, Realink for HDMI
  • Onkyo: RIHD, Remote Interactive over HDMI
  • Panasonic: VIERA Link, HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync
  • Philips: EasyLink, Fun-Link
  • Pioneer: Kuro Link
  • Roku: 1-Touch Play
  • Runco: RuncoLink
  • Samsung: Anynet+
  • Sharp: Aquos Link
  • Sony: BRAVIA Link, BRAVIA Sync, Control for HDMI
  • Thomson: T-Link
  • Toshiba: CE-Link, Regza Link
  • Vizio: CEC

Did you actually checked the logs if there are any CEC messages? Might need to enable debug logging with CEC specific components

But yes cable most likely the culprit. In this thread there is a potentially working one linked.
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=201441

Alright, please tell me if I did this correctly: I downloaded Log Viewer for Kodi from the addon store, then went to Settings>System>Logging and enabled both debug logging and component specific logging. Then I enabled Verbose logging for the libCEC library. Then I press a bunch of buttons on my remote, open the log viewer and press show log. When I scrolled down to about where I was doing the button pressing, and there were about 4 different messages relating to CEC -

debug : CecLogMessage - CLinuxCECAdapterCommunication::Write - ioctl CEC_TRANSMIT - tx_status=24 len=1 addr=10 opcode=ffffffff

debug : CecLogMessage - << 10

debug : CecLogMessage - >> POLL not sent

debug : CecLogMessage - Recorder 1 (1) → TV (0): POLL

In varying order. Does this tell anything about the TV, cable or remote, or is it just random debug info?

Well it shows that OSMC is trying to tell the TV what/who it is.
Suggest to upload logs via MyOSMC log uploader and share the URL

Sorry for taking so long, here’s the log: https://paste.osmc.tv/urecufoweh
Sure do hope this helps in any way :slight_smile:

It shows pretty clearly that your player is trying to communicate via CEC but nothing is responding back. Your issue is either…

1. Your HDMI cable does not have pin 13 connected.
  2. Your TV does not have standardized CEC support.
  3. Your TV supports CEC but it is not enabled.

Alright, thank you very much, cheers!