Removing systemd from osmc

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I don’t want to run this garbage code on my hardware, however unlike in ubuntu/debian where it it still possible to switch the init system back to upstart/sysVinit, osmc does not allow replacing systemd:

apt-get install upstart
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  cgmanager cpio ifupdown initramfs-tools iproute2 klibc-utils libcgmanager0 libjson0 libklibc libnih-dbus1 libnih1 libpam-systemd libsystemd0 makedev
  mountall plymouth systemd systemd-shim
Suggested packages:
  libarchive1 ppp rdnssd bash-completion iproute2-doc desktop-base plymouth-themes systemd-ui pm-utils python3 graphviz upstart-monitor
Recommended packages:
  isc-dhcp-client dhcp-client libatm1
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  rbp2-device-osmc systemd-sysv
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  cgmanager cpio ifupdown initramfs-tools iproute2 klibc-utils libcgmanager0 libjson0 libklibc libnih-dbus1 libnih1 makedev mountall plymouth systemd-shim
  upstart
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libpam-systemd libsystemd0 systemd
3 upgraded, 16 newly installed, 2 to remove and 78 not upgraded.
Need to get 4159 kB/4511 kB of archives.
After this operation, 5383 kB of additional disk space will be used.

Fetched 4159 kB in 11s (372 kB/s)                                                                                                                              
(Reading database ... 30205 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing rbp2-device-osmc (1.3.3) ...
WARNING: You have tried to remove a package that is essential to OSMC's operation.
To undo these changes, run 'sudo apt-get -f install'.
dpkg: error processing package rbp2-device-osmc (--remove):
 subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 rbp2-device-osmc
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Is there a way to remove it or am I better off looking for other distro to run my Kodi on such as ARMbian.

yes

Debian Jessie uses systemd as the default init implementation. Our additional packages are built with the expectation of systemd being present, and we depend upon systemd in our packaging, hence the following error:

WARNING: You have tried to remove a package that is essential to OSMC’s operation.

Better off using another distribution.

Nearly all of the custom services that run in OSMC, such as mediacenter.service (Kodi) manual-update.service (the blue fullscreen update screen) and so on are written specifically as systemd services - there is no alternative sysv init script for most of our custom services.

So in short, no you can’t remove systemd from OSMC and expect it to work.

Doubt that Igor will supply rasberry images :slight_smile: he and TKaiser despises RPI so good luck trying to convince em to make Armbian image, ive been a member for a long time over there :smiley: