Replacement for current Raspberry Pi

Hi,

I’m eager to know what would be the best replacement for my current Pi. I’m not particulary “set” on yet another Pi model, maybe there are other options (Vero?) that would be great.

I’m using my Pi mostly for streaming the TV series and movies my brother hosts on his NAS.

I also have homevideo’s on my SSD and I share some media folders on my PC I can select to play on my TV that way using Kodi.

Besides that I use it for watching YouTube.

My wife has some of her favorite music in a folder on the SSD she plays sometimes and that’s about it.

I bought it in 2018, and I think it’s quite dated now, if I use:
> cat /proc/cpuinfo

It shows:

model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)
Hardware        : BCM2835
Model           : Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2

We don’t care that much about ‘high tech quality’ so we don’t have a 4k television yet. And I’m looking to keep it around the same budget a Raspberry Pi would be if possible.

What alternatives would you recommend that keeps me

• Use YouTube
  • Watch media from someones NAS server
  • Stream media from my PC shared folders
  • Play MP3 files

All from the comfort of your own TV.

Thanks !

The Vero is going to be desirable for 4K HDR and high resolution audio. If neither is useful to you then a RPi 4 is going to be advantageous (vs your RPi 3) for playback of interlaced TV as well as making for a slightly faster UI and some increased networking speed. If none of that is a useful enough upgrade to justify the price to purchase then there is no reason to move to a new device.

Some of the earlier RPi upgrades were more of a no brainer as you could upgrade keeping most of your existing kit. The RPi 4 is a bit different as the only part you can really reuse is the SD card. In practice this usually means the cost is 2-3x the $35 USD price people often quote for a acquiring a RPi.

1 Like

Keep in mind that deinterlacing is software only on Pi at this time – which could be a limiting factor.

1 Like