Resolution sticks to 4k

cheers yes, whitelisting everything solves the issue, selecting everything from1080p keeps screen fully on show

1 Like

Hi,

Update - @grahamh has confirmed this is expected behaviour. When using the default whitelist, kodi looks for a equal or higher resolution. So when you start playback from the gui it works, as the gui (should be) resolution is set to 1080p.

Thanks Tom.

Just to be pedantic, you mean “when not using a whitelist”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

Me and @fzinken have just been discussing this and he agrees with you, I’m not so sure. As Kodi creates a white-list based on what the TV can support, but has a preference of resolution over refresh rate.

Thanks Tom.

No, Kodi doesn’t create a whitelist. It creates a list of all supported resolutions but none of that is “white listed” means it is an empty “whitelist”.
So without the white listing it would not switch below GUI.
The point of Resolution over refresh rate is a secondary Kodi topic.

1 Like

@Tom_Doyle you are outvoted. :rofl:

Yeah i never messed with the whitelist, as i thought that was only to be used if you didnt want to use certain ones, didnt realise it stopped downgrade of resolution.

Wouldnt it make sense for everything to be whitelisted that the tv supports then untick the ones you dont want to use

Hi,

I’m just going by what I’m seeing in the log:

<setting id="videoscreen.whitelist" default="true"></setting>

2020-04-30 21:02:26.551 T:3402625760  NOTICE: Whitelist search for: width: 3840, height: 2160, fps: 23.976, 3D: false
2020-04-30 21:02:26.551 T:3402625760   DEBUG: Whitelist is empty using default one
2020-04-30 21:02:26.551 T:3402625760   DEBUG: Trying to find exact refresh rate
2020-04-30 21:02:26.552 T:3402625760   DEBUG: Matched exact whitelisted Resolution 3840x2160 @ 23.98 - Full Screen (34)

My reading is: user whitelist is empty, using default one.

Matched exact whitelisted Resolution 3840x2160 Its matching against something?

Tom.

Hi,

probably, but this isn’t how team kodi decided how to do it.

Thanks Tom.

What @grahamh explained seems like the correct explanation, and it conforms to the behavior I observed. I was still scratching my head trying to figure out why setting refresh to always was giving me the desired behavior but not the OP. After inspecting his logs a bit closer I spotted it. What I was doing was hitting the back button on my remote which brought me the the GUI with the video playing in the background. With “always” set this switches the resolution to the desktop resolution so it acts the same as if the video was stopped. The OP however was using a secondary device to initiate playback so he was never going back to the GUI and as such that setting was not changing the behavior for him.

As to the nomenclature debate I agree with fzinken as well. Regardless of what the log says or the technical aspect of how it actually works, Kodi added a feature called “whitelist” that switches how Kodi behaves depending on if you have anything, or nothing, set in this whitelist. As such I think it is most correct, and the least confusing from a users perspective, that you are either using a whitelist or not.

1 Like