Resolution sticks to 4k

Hi,

Ive recently been playing 4k files, but if i open the next video 1080p before i stop the 4k, the resolution sticks at 4k and is juddery until i stop then start again then it changes to 1080p

Doesnt the option for sync START/STOP update when you open a new file?

thanks

Hi,

Without logs its hard to advised why, but I would guess you have the set the gui resolution higher than 1080p; which isn’t recommended. If not:

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Tom.

Cheers tom see attached

https://paste.osmc.tv/vegavugeho

Starwars 4K83 (video was choppy but thats just when logging enabled), then switched to a recording of Bear grylls (still in 4k format) stopped and started file switchs to normal HD

Hi,

Is this only happening when try to play recordings or all non 4k content?

Thanks Tom.

all none 4k,

if im watching 1080p n switch to 4k it goes up, but switch to 1080p file it stays on 4k untill video is stopped and started

Hi,

Does changing to adjust refresh rate to always, fix the issue?

Also stupid question, but what do you mean by switch? Are you stopping the 4k first and then starting the 1080p or Starting a 1080p when a 4k is already playing?

Thanks Tom.

Thanks Tom.

still same im affraid.

starting the video before the last ones finished, so like when its on credits at end loading next video

thanks

Hi,

Can you please reproduce going from 4k to an actual 1080p file, the Bear is 540p. I’m not saying to 540p shouldn’t work, just would like to see what it actually does with 1080p.

Thanks Tom.

https://paste.osmc.tv/lacohuwocu

thats a 720p that didnt change down untill stopped n started, forgot the bear one was on SDtv

thanks

Hi,

That was 720p, not 1080p.

I think if you set adjust refresh to always and tried this with content that is 1080p, you will get the wanted result. For everything else you would be better off, stopping the currently playing 4k content and then starting the less than 1080p content.

I think the issue is being caused by white-listing. But I don’t think you are going to able to white-list resolutions less than 1080p and get the correct refresh rate. More details can be found here:

If I’m right, this will be affecting kodi across many platforms and not something that osmc is going to be easily or at all be able to fix.

Thanks Tom.

Could you elaborate on what you think is happening here? I’m wondering if it’s something I need to make a note of in my whitelist guide.

He is not using a whitelist. I can reproduce the issue as described with refresh set to on start/stop. I cannot reproduce with the refresh set to always and that works as it should regardless of if it goes from playing 4k to HD, or 4k to SD. I would advise the OP to stop their playing video, go to settings>player>videos>adjust refresh rate> and set that to “always” then test it again.

hi tom,

just tried “always” and found a 1080p file still same, it does adjust untill after the file is stopped and reloaded

i noticed it before but didnt have much 4k content then, but the 1080p/720p looses frame rates then stop n start to solve it.

Hi,

When to adjust refresh rate is set to start/stop - Kodi is getting to the refresh rate of the previously playing file and not checking again.

When set to always - I thought it was to do with 540p & 720p not being in the default whitelist, but apparently this isn’t the case. I think we need to dig further.

Tom.

Can we have a fresh log, show this please?

Thanks Tom.

https://paste.osmc.tv/olavibafoj

Hi,

I’m not quite sure why this isn’t working, @darwindesign is indeed correct:

Matching to the default white-list is failing, when switching back to resolutions less than 4k; but when stopping playback and starting it again, matching to the default white-list works.

This will need to be looked in to. For now the easy thing will be to just stop and start, rather than switching. You could have a go a setting white-listing, as described in the how to posted by @angry.sardine. You need to be very careful with this, as kodi will only playback resolutions & refresh rates in your whitelist, regardless of whether the tv supports it.

Thanks Tom.

It shouldn’t give you the option of whitelisting anything your TV doesn’t support.

1 Like

cheers tom, yeah, strange one for it to change up resolutions but not down

ive never touched the whitelists

1 Like

Hi,

I know, I meant more if you don’t select one and you have content that needs it or if your like me where I haven’t white-listed anything under 1080p, due to refresh rates.

Tom.