Resolved skipped frames on 24p material

That’s interesting. I wonder if you’ve found a bug with how 24.000 is being handled.
Can you send me a small sample of a file that causes a problem? I want to see how ffmpeg and AMLCodec are handling the stream properties.

Sam

Can confirm there are issues with the Vero 4K and 24.000fps material. I’m playing Shaun the Sheep, for example (don’t judge me) which is a 24.000fps movie (from my original Blu-ray) and every minute or so it skips a frame. Same goes for Sherlock and the Abominable Bride. Can watch it skip frames using the Kodi info screen in-movie.

To clarify, this is with my projector set to 23.98hz in the Vero settings. If I change the Vero to 24hz in the settings it makes zero difference. Still skipping frames with 24.000fps material. No issues with 23.976hz material.

And to update:

Something is REALLY fishy here, and damir is onto something in terms of refresh rate switching. I set my Vero to 1080p/60, and then played the 1080/24.000hz material and it’s no longer skipping frames (refresh rate matching still on) after it switches to 24.000hz at the start of playback.

Still testing here so will update again shortly.

update

Having trouble reproducing this issue now. After switching to 1080p/60 and then back again to 1080p/24.000 or 23.98, I can’t get 24.000hz material to skip frames anymore. This is just very odd…

What does that mean?
You should not be setting refresh rates in OSMC, but just enable Adjust Refresh Rate.

With a small sample I can investigate.

Sam

As in, I set the UI to be 1080p/23.98. That was my preferred UI setting because it meant there was no delay when starting 99.9% of movies. My display (projector) takes some seconds to sync up refresh rates and display an image. Since most movies are 23.976fps, it made sense to me to keep the UI at that refresh rate.

Either way, I’m not able to repeat this issue, so…

OK – if it does happen, make sure you have Adjust Refresh Rate enabled.
I now remember our discussion.

Kodi will only change refresh rate when necessary, although having 23.98 as default could be a corner case, but I’d hope not because of 59.79 vs 60 (same idea).

Cheers

Sam

I always have adjust refresh start/stop enabled. This is a must-use feature for serious HT enthusiasts! :slight_smile:

I’ll update if it happens again.

This is a small sample (10 minutes) https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TRO2MTYHFDa-A6pG-rPaXREiE7kMU9UR
Every 24.000 fps movie are affected, I have maybe 10-20 movies now with 24.000 Hz
My results till today are. For now I have a skipping free play of 24.000. But I engaged every possible “cure” for that. 1080p/60, HPD lock, TV Motion comp. off, 1.5 sec delay after switching res… With 23.976 set for TV set I can reproduce a bug in a few minutes, but with 1080p/60 I waited two days for skipping problem. Now with added 1.5 sec delay after switching res. I have a longest period, maybe four days without skipping.

To be more precise- 5 days and 02 hours system up time on Vero 4K without a problem.

And a few hours later skipping is back. I must try at different TV set, but I am away from home next 2 or 3 weeks. I must to emphasize that overall I am extremely happy with my Vero 4K, and the community here is just marvelous.

Thanks. I’ve grabbed the clip and will take a look shortly.