Restore osmc to its previous state from sd card

Hi everybody, it looks like I did something wrong yesterday when trying to mount an external hard drive, following the instructions from http://www.howtogeek.com/139433/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-low-power-network-storage-device/

This morning, osmc does not start properly. A bunch of text appears on the left hand side of the screen, with many errors. I am pretty sure this has to do with what I did yesterday.

I would like to restore osmc to its previous state. I do not have access to ssh, or even osmc as it does not start, of course. I can only insert the sd card in my windows pc.

Is it possible to restore osmc to its previous state - a bit like the restore point in Windows - by tweaking or deleting a config file on the sd card? If so, how do you do that?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers, Olly

You need to reinstall

You should be more judicious of changes in the future and take an OSMC backup in the future

Sam

Ok, thanks sam

You can also ask us on the forum before making any changes you’re unsure of. Many users will have followed similar steps before you and can advise.

Assuming that you only messed up your fstab file and not other things you would need to mount the ext4 partition on your sdcard to be able to correct the fstab file.
Therefore when you only have windows you either can install paragon extfs or maybe easier just boot a live Linux (e.g. Ubuntu) from DVD or USB and then mount the sdcard and change the file

As a side note on OSMC you don’t need to change fstab file to connect external hard drive as they are auto mounted

Thank you Sam and fzinken for your help that is really appreciated.
I’ve already re-installed osmc as I suspected I had already made a mess of it, I might as well start from scratch.
Fzinken, I’ll keep a note of Paragon extfs, which can be found at ExtFS for Windows | Paragon Software should I need to access ext4 partition on my sd card.

Fzinken, I assume external hard drive are auto-mounted when they’re formated as ext4, right?
Mine is formated as ntfs.

No, they should also auto mount when formatted ntfs.
Check in /media

So what’s you’re saying, fzinken, is you don’t need the whole procedure to mount a usb hard drive? Yet, when I plugged my hdd yesterday and try and find it in file manager, I couldn’t see it?

That’s clearly what he said.

Correct, USB drives will be automatically mounted under /media when detected.
Suggest you post the URL of grab-logs -K -D

Gee I might have inserted a lot of instructions and configs for nothing. Wondering whether I should not reinstall osmc (again!). In the meantime, here’s the log: http://xbmclogs.com/pabaegtyw
Thank you, fzinken

Thats a Kodi log, not helpful for what we need now.
provide grab-logs -K -D URL

ok, got it: http://paste.osmc.io/ijepufubux

I just figured out I am talking to you in two threads and this get’s a bit strange.
So what I can see your second partition on the external harddisk is automatically mounted as /media/RPi HD, so what exactly is your problem now?
Or are you missing your first partition?

Ok, I’d like to be able to:

1. Configure Deluge torrent client so that torrents are downloaded on my usb external HDD. Problem is I just don’t know where my HDD is. I thought I would just need to enter “/media/RPi HD/completed” in Deluge as the location where the torrents should be downloaded. It does not work: it still downloads on my sd card rather than the HDD.

2. Being able to access this same HDD from Windows using Windows explorer. Again, same problem, I don’t know where the HDD is. I entered '192.168.1.4/media/RPi HD", but it says “File not found”.

What am I doing wrong?

I am not sure what you are doing wrong. Only thing I can tell you that your harddisk is mounted at /media/RPi HD
And the only advice I can give you that you might want to change the label of that partition as having a space in the name always can lead to trouble.

Fzinken, I just re-read your last message: you’re saying I have 2 partitions on my external HDD? How is that possible? I just re-formated it this morning and I am sure there was one partition (sorry, I’m getting a bit frustrated :sweat:)

[ 13.379272] sda: sda1 sda2

/dev/sda2 2.8T 264M 2.8T 1% /media/RPi HD

Ok, it might be it. I’ll reinstall osmc tomorrow, rename the external hdd and will just plug it as it should be auto-mounted (without any further instructions), right?
To be continued…
In the meantime, tahnk you for your time and your help.

Yes, it will be automounted.
Just ensure that you have a single partition (format would not change that, you would need to use the disk/partition manager) and give it a simple name without spaces.