Retropie PS3 controller driver causing issues in MyOSMC

I’m experiencing really slow performance within the Networking section of MyOSMC. I think that this started in the last couple of weeks - I can’t recall it being slow previously.

Opening MyOSMC is fine, and browsing the other sections of MyOSMC runs smoothly, but the networking section takes a long time to load, and a very long time to switch between “Wired”, “Bluetooth” and “MySQL” sections - 10-20 seconds, during which time the screen is unresponsive. CPU usage doesn’t seem particularly heavy when trying this.

The only thing I have done recently is added a Bluetooth USB dongle and installed Retrosmc.

Logs are here:

http://paste.osmc.io/xewikijaja

This should include a clean reboot, and browsing through MyOSMC with debug logging turned on.

Any thoughts?

I’m still having this issue - can I provide any additional debug information that might help?

Have you tried how the Networking Section goes if you unplug the bluetooth dongle?

There is definetly something strange happening on your bluetooth install

Feb 10 21:33:40 osmc dbus[305]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.bluez' unit='dbus-org.bluez.service'
Feb 10 21:33:40 osmc systemd[650]: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd: Permission denied
Feb 10 21:33:40 osmc systemd[1]: bluetooth.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Feb 10 21:33:40 osmc systemd[1]: Failed to start Bluetooth service.
Feb 10 21:33:40 osmc systemd[1]: Unit bluetooth.service entered failed state.
Feb 10 21:34:05 osmc dbus[305]: [system] Failed to activate service 'org.bluez': timed out
Feb 10 21:34:05 osmc mediacenter[453]: ● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
Feb 10 21:34:05 osmc mediacenter[453]: Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled)
Feb 10 21:34:05 osmc mediacenter[453]: Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/bluetooth.service.d
Feb 10 21:34:05 osmc mediacenter[453]: └─local.conf
Feb 10 21:34:05 osmc mediacenter[453]: Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2016-02-10 21:33:40 NZDT; 25s ago
Feb 10 21:34:05 osmc mediacenter[453]: Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
Feb 10 21:34:05 osmc mediacenter[453]: Process: 650 ExecStart=/usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
Feb 10 21:34:05 osmc mediacenter[453]: Main PID: 650 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
Feb 10 21:34:05 osmc mediacenter[453]: Warning: Unit file changed on disk, 'systemctl daemon-reload' recommended.
Feb 10 21:34:07 osmc dbus[305]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.bluez' unit='dbus-org.bluez.service'
Feb 10 21:34:07 osmc systemd[655]: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd: Permission denied

Thanks for the suggestion. It’s definitely related to the Bluetooth dongle. When unplugged, the MyOSMC networking section is smooth and fast as it used to be. When plugged back in, everything goes slow.

I guess this means I need to focus on what’s happened with the Bluetooth dongle.

When I first plugged the dongle in after purchasing it, MyOSMC ran smoothly and I could enable and disable Bluetooth, but I could not pair with my PS3 controller.

After installing Retrosmc, I installed PS3 controller support from the Retropie installation menu. This got the controller working perfectly in ES/Retropie, but it seems to have further broken Bluetooth inside OSMC. Current situation:

• I can’t enable Bluetooth in MyOSMC any more
  • MyOSMC networking menu is very sluggish and slow
  • I can pair my controller with Kodi running, but none of the inputs are recognised by Kodi
  • The controller still works perfectly in ES/Retropie

I can only assume that the Retropie PS3 Bluetooth controller driver has broken compatibility with OSMC somehow.

Any thoughts on how I can diagnose this? The Bluetooth dongle is a cheap CSR 4.0 from dx.com.

Ideally I would like to be able to:

• use my PS3 controller as a remote in OSMC (not working at present)
  • use the same controller in ES/Retropie (this part currently works perfectly)
  • use other Bluetooth devices in OSMC (not currently working as I can’t enable Bluetooth in MyOSMC)

I’m happy to do further testing if someone can suggest things to try.

Continuing the discussion from [HowTo] Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC:
I have this issue as well and looks to be caused by the installation of the package bluetooth over bluez.

Pls have a look at my linked response, I linked sam as well, but he was too busy I guess with the launch of Vero 2 :wink:

I hadn’t seen your other post, thanks. Hopefully Sam or someone else can shed some light…,

I’m not convinced RetroPie is the issue

Unfortunately we have a memory leak in My OSMC’s Bluetooth menu but this only presents if you stay in the menu for a while

Sam

You read my post Sam?
About the execution permissions that constantly dissapear after a reboot?

Not until now.

Not seen this issue before. A lot of users are using Bluetooth regularly so I doubt this is an OSMC issue.

Do you have any logs at hand?

Sam

Which you need?
Could make those tomorrow I think

I’ve got logs in the OP but can grab more if you let me know what you want to see.

I don’t think Retropie itself is the issue, I think it’s the PS3 controller drivers installed from within Retropie that cause the issue and conflict with OSMC somehow.