Ripping CD's 'Isengard' style - workaround?

With an LG USB CD player attached, I can see ‘PLAY CD’ and the CD indeed plays fine.

I can’t see where to rip (on the standrad confluence skin)
The CD is not protected (I can rip it on ubuntu 14)
I resolved a power supply overload condition by using external power on the USB CD

Under System/Music/Audio CDS I have selected ACC, Saved music folder of ~/Music, Eject on RIP
I left the Track Naming template alone,

I have looked around for a menu, checked context popup in many places, and am not offered the option to rip

I have selected ACC, Vorbis, and LAME encoders, and still nothing shows up.

Workaround: Set Audio CD insert action (System/Music/Audio CD) to Rip - this rips everything inserted.

Device: Rasp Pi2
Installation media: SDcard
Connection: 100Mb/wired
Power Supply Apple
Power specs: 5V2A
Peripherals: wifi, BT, MS wireless KB.   LG USB CD/DVD with external power.
Storage Device SD only
OSMC version: VERSION_ID="2015.07-1"
XBMC version: (grep Kodi .kodi//temp/kodi.log | head -2)
10:01:49   9.714940 T:1956659200  NOTICE: Starting Kodi (15.1-RC1 Git:Unknown). Platform: Linux ARM (Thumb) 32-bit
10:01:49   9.715026 T:1956659200  NOTICE: Using Release Kodi x32 build (version for Raspberry Pi)
10:01:49   9.715122 T:1956659200  NOTICE: Kodi compiled Aug  7 2015 by GCC 4.9.2 for Linux ARM (Thumb) 32-bit version 3.16.7 (200711)

Codecs: mpeg2
Audio/Video Output: HDMI, analog
Overclocked: No
Config.txt Extras:

hi

any news for this issue?
(I have the same question and more because my usb CD/DVD/BR player was recognized once only and worked only for the first CD I used in it…)

Thank you

Same question: I tested today (13th Jan 2016)… no rip option. Even worse:

1. I don’t see the audio CD when navigating to “My Music”
  2. The rip process starts but only the directory structure is created. OSMC/Kodi tries to rip the first track but then stops without any message. No file is written. Also, the CD is not ejected.

Any ideas or solutions to this?

(I also set as insert action to rip the CD because I cannot find any other way to do this. If I set it to play it plays immediately and detects all tracks using internet database. So the CD [I tried a couple ones] itself seems to have no problem.)

Can I see anything in the logs (where)?

Hi again, spent some time on investigation, here’s the update: First: yes, I can see my audio CD unter “My Music” (listed below my folders). From there I can choose ripping.

I tried ripping audio CD using different encoders:

1. Lame MP3 (constant bitrate 128 kbps) not working (OSMC tries but stops during 1st track → no output file as described above)
  2. Lame MP3 (Standard or Medium preset) also not working (same as constant bitrate)
  3. AAC not working (ripping not starting)
  4. WMA not working (ripping not starting)
  5. WAV works correctly, so write permissions etc. is OK. But I don’t want WAV :slightly_smiling:

Any ideas?

What is the command that OSMC invokes to rip an audio CD? I could try this to see errors.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to push this again… Couldn’t find a solution yet.

Any ideas? (e.g. log file or command)

Or different question: Does ripping audio CDs work on your OSMC in LAME MP3 format?

Update: I tried a fresh and clean install of OSMC for RasPi2 on a separate SD card. The problems have changed a little bit:

First of all there’s no more “rip CD” option in the context menu for my audio CD under Music > Files > [649 MB Drive] (it is not shown as “disc”). The same is true since the latest Kodi upgrade on the installation I have on my original SD card… I think now I have 16.0 and for some reason “Jarvis” doesn’t support this anymore? But the reason is unclear to me.

Also, when switching from OSMC’s to Kodi’s default skin “Confluence” the audio CD is detected as “disc” and the extra menu item “Play disc” appears. But from there it’s also not possible to start ripping.

So ripping only works then you set ripping as default action when a disc is inserted (system settings)… which is bad.

Ripping the audio CD starts as it did under “Isengard”. Usually the 1st and mostly also the 2nd track is ripped correctly as MP3. Then, ripping stops abruptly without any errors or warnings.

I also tried a clean installation of OpenElec for RasPi2 but exactly the same problem occurs (only the first 2 tracks got ripped).

So there seem to be errors while ripping or skipping to the next track. Or maybe there’s a problem with characters in the filename or…

I want to find out what’s happening. Where can I see the command that is invoked for ripping and does it create a log file?

Have a look at /home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log If you turn on debugging in settings>System>Logging you will get much more info in the log. There are also specific debug options available that may help