RPi 2 random stutter over LAN

yeah… i thinks also but some PEOPLE don’t know this limitation and use not compatible profile :wink:

Every time everywhere… somewhere can see piracy content speak about inside this thread @Theetjuh you can confirm your file it’s your personal rips…

I was just posting an example of a file that works perfectly on my RPi2, no idea what others where doing or intending though :neutral_face:

The MOD says we can speak about all…

Just throwing in my 2 cents worth. Been having stuttering/choppy playback the last couple of weeks. My benchmark video(specs below) used to play fine, but was also choppy. My resolution was enabling OMXPlayer hardware acceleration, and adding the following to my advancedsettings.xml

<advancedsettings>
  <network>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>157286400</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>

Video Specs

Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 9.83 GiB
Duration : 2h 15mn
Overall bit rate : 10.4 Mbps

Turned my RPI2 on yesterday, OSMC said there was an update.
I installed latest update.

Stuttering has gotten worse now. I haven’t changed anything.

Previously everything was working fine on SMB access.
Was told to move to NFS… OK did that. Stuttering left.

Now I’ve just updated and NFS now stutters even worse than before.

I’m convinced now that these updates are screwing up the networking somehow.

You’ll have to provide logs to prove that…

Will do … fair enough.

Just adding that last time, that’s what you had me do.
The outcome was: “Don’t use SMB, use NFS”.
However before those previous updates, smb was working fine. Now NFS doesnt behave since last update … My setup hasn’t changed, only difference is the update.

If you are using the Kodi build in NFS drivers you might wanna try moving to the kernel drivers (mount via fstab).
Check this thread Consistently interrupted playback - #23 by THEM

I have stuttering with OSMC even when played from USB. It doesn’t seem to be related to the refresh rate etc. I’m using the same RPi2 with the same type of SD with a fresh OSMC and a fresh OpenELEC install. OSMC has random stutters and OpenELEC does not. I will post two logs (one from OSMC and one from OpenELEC) playing the same file in the next days to hopefully find out why that is. Should I activate something special while logging or is the normal debug log enough?

Depends on the type of stutter.
It can be cpu, bandwidth or timestamp related.

cpu related will likely show at least one core close to 100% utilisation (you can see this in debug codec overlay - ‘o’ key). You will probably see “skip:” and/or “drop:” numbers continually increasing.

bandwidth related means we can’t read the data fast enough. More likely with slow networks (e.g. wifi). You will see lower cpu, but dropping video/audio queues. These are the “vq:” and “aq:” numbers in codec overlay which ideally should be close to 100%. If they drop to zero you will get buffering.

If it’s neither of these then it’s probably timestamp related. We have received data and decoded it in time, but just didn’t display it nicely synced with vsync. Make sure “adjust display rate to match video” and “sync playback to display” are both enabled for smoothest video. Might be worth trying with omxplayer enabled/disabled as the logic for exactly when to display frames is a little different. It may be the file is poorly encoded and just has too much jitter on the timestamps. This often occurs when video has been converted between different framerates.

If it is timestamp related, then providing a sample video that shows the problem is the best option. Check that is can play smoothly on a different media player. The logging doesn’t have enough detail to diagnose these, but it may be solvable with a specific example to work on.

1 Like

I switched from OpenELEC 6.0.3 to the latest OSMC release on my RPi2 and just wanted to say that I also noticed stutter from time to time. No stutter on OpenELEC. I’m using MMAL hardware acceleration with media stored on USB HDD, Sync Playback to Display enabled with Adjust PLL. Can’t get rid of the intermittent stutter.

I use my Pi primarily for live TV but I’ve found that adjust to display set to on/off and sync to display set to off work for me. With sync to display on I get shuddering playback. Try it yourself and see if it helps.

It’s not related to that. As we said it runs fine using OpenELEC with any settings and doesn’t when using OSMC.
We have now two topics about this issue. Here is the other one: MMAL Skipped frame or judder every few seconds - #6 by kartana