rPi 4 - Wifi cannot connect

Fresh install of 2023.01-01 on my Raspberry Pi 4 doesn’t seem to be able to connect to my Wifi network. the GUI finds my network but when I click on it to connect it gives me an error. There are the logs:

Jan 24 14:06:53 osmc preseed[682]: Detected wireless network Suzanne Router during scan
Jan 24 14:06:53 osmc preseed[682]: Found SSID entry point for Suzanne Router at /net/connman/service/wifi_dca632b13c41_53757a616e6e6520526f75746572_managed_psk
Jan 24 14:06:53 osmc preseed[682]: Hidden and or protected network need to setup an agent
Jan 24 14:06:53 osmc preseed[682]: Protected Network - Writing key to preseed_data for agent
Jan 24 14:06:53 osmc preseed[682]: Attempting connection now
Jan 24 14:06:54 osmc ftr[823]: /usr/bin/preseed-agent:212: PyGIDeprecationWarning: GObject.MainLoop is deprecated; use GLib.MainLoop instead
Jan 24 14:06:54 osmc ftr[823]: mainloop = GObject.MainLoop() # NOQA
Jan 24 14:06:54 osmc preseed[682]: Connection agent not started yet, waiting a second
Jan 24 14:06:54 osmc preseed[682]: DBusException Raised: net.connman.Error.OperationTimeout: Operation timeout
Jan 24 14:06:54 osmc preseed[682]: DBusException Raised: net.connman.Error.OperationTimeout: Operation timeout

I’ve seen some other threads about power issues, I’m using a power adapter that outputs 5.1V at 3A so it should be good?

Don’t use the wifi connection option during installation. Just connect to the wifi by use of the MyOSMC app after the pi is up and running.

I tried that but the same error occurred. However, I installed OSMC using the Raspberry Pi Imager instead of the OSMC Windows installer and that seems to have solved my issues.

This issue has now been solved in 2023.05-1 and setting WiFi configuration via the OSMC installer should work again

Hi,

owner of the preseed fixer pull request here.
As I mentioned I tested the solution back then by manually replacing the /usr/bin/preseed script in the filesystem.tar.xz found in the image (2023.01-1) with the one I found and fixed in the repository: osmc/preseed at master · osmc/osmc · GitHub

I have not noticed that the python script I replaced manually in the image was a more than a year old version and it still is in the latest (2023.05-1) image, so it’s not the one containing my fix.
I only checked the rbp2 and rbp4 images, because these are the only devices I have at hand and I’m using Debian and the installer appimage.

I tried the same method of manual replacement of said script using the latest May image and it is working with one caveat:
wifi config is set correctly, but wifi is not enabled by default. So after the initial setup you have to manually enable wifi on the gui and it will connect correctly and other wifi networks can be connected to if required.

So even if the images contained the fixed, up-to-date version of the script, it would still only be a half legged solution, but certainly better than with the current one, that basically breaks wifi connectivity if preseeding is used.

I’ll try to figure out a solution to why wifi remains disabled, but since I have not found any detailed documentation I’m still getting familiar with the codebase in an exploratory way when I have the time :slight_smile:

One of my osmc setups is using only a monitor not a full blown smart TV with proper remote, so I think wifi preseed config could be useful to anyone, who has similar setup and maybe don’t have any device to control (like an usb keyboard) the osmc device or wants to access via ssh or just simply lazy and tries to automate stuff as much as possible, like me :slight_smile:

Hi @varaki,

I’ve checked and the latest images should have your fix.

I can bump the add-on version nonetheless for the next release to make sure that your changes are included.

This would be great. It definitely worked before – it looks like some things got broken with the migration from Python 2.x → Python 3.x.

Hi @sam_nazarko,

When I posted the pull request I did not bump the package version in the corresponding file. Maybe that’s why the old version gets packaged into the filesystem tar?
(Don’t really know how the build system works yet)

I manually bumped it in a separate commit.

I mean the version in ftr package control file: osmc/control at master · osmc/osmc · GitHub

Shouldn’t that be bumped too?

Whoops – indeed it should. I’ll get that done later.

Done now, cheers.

Happy to discuss the WiFi enable issue too.