Peripherals: Dell USB Keyboard; Microsoft USB Mouse
Storage Device (incl. Network Sharing Protocol): SMB
OSMC version: 2015.08-1
XBMC version: 15.1
Codecs:
Audio/Video Output: HDMI
Overclocked: No
Config.txt Extras:
LINK to uploaded logs in pastebin (must include COMPLETE Kodi debug log)
dmesg output: http://paste.osmc.io/xajetuqiga
kodi.log: http://paste.osmc.io/atodecekek

Summary:
I received a notice today that an update was available and given the option to proceed.

Returning to the system after the update completed, I noticed I could not wake the system from idle, going from dim to bright display. Moving the mouse has no effect even though the red LED on the mouse is lit. Toggling Caps Lock also toggles the associated LED indicator. The display remains dim at all times.

I logged in to the device via SSH and rebooted the box to see if that would help. No. The display arrives at the main UI with normal brightness but after a while goes dim due to apparent lack of input.

I disconnected and reconnected the keyboard. No change.

I powered off the RPI completely, waited a couple of minutes and resupplied power. No change.

OSMC has been working great with both keyboard and mouse until today. So I suspect a change in 08-1 is the problem.

Sorry, without keyboard, I’m not sure how to enable more verbose logging. I’m happy to gather any additional logs or info.

Thanks,

Cannot think of a single possible reason why the update would affect your keyboard and mouse. No other reports of this so far. Your log file shows a Dell Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse being detected by the Kernel.

Your Kodi log is only 3 lines long, which is very unusual - are you sure you haven’t run out of disk space ? Check with ‘df -h’.

As a test, can you try booting with the keyboard plugged in, wait until just after the blue OSMC splash screen is displayed, then hold down the left CTRL key on your keyboard for 20 seconds or until you see a black text screen with a login prompt.

If you see this, can you log in with osmc/osmc and type normally ? If so your keyboard is working and there may be an issue in Kodi. (But I can’t think what off hand)

For “df -h”: http://paste.osmc.io/azudawimad

My guess is the kodi.log needs increased verbosity or debug level. Is there a way I can increase it from the CLI since I can’t access the normal UI settings?

Thanks for the keyboard trick suggestion. I’ll try it later today.

try
xbmc-send --action=“ToggleDebug”
to enable debugging from ssh session

That’s a pretty small SD card you have there - is that a Noobs install, or have you only installed on a 2GB card ?

At the moment you only have 402MB free on the root partition out of 1.6GB, which is pretty marginal for installing updates - we actually display a warning and prevent the user from running updates at all if free space is below 300MB due to concerns about the update process failing due to running out of space.

Not saying that this is necessarily your problem but it could be a factor. The minimum recommended SD card size is 4GB.

I’m not sure about which install it is. It’s just the same SD card I’ve been using since early Raspbmc days.

I’ve got plenty of 16GB cards, so I tried a fresh install on one of those, and so far no problems.

So yeah, maybe something failed to install during the upgrade. But there was no obvious error, so I just presumed everything went smoothly.

Anyway, thanks for the help.