Rpi-poe-plus not working on kernel 5.15

On kernel 5.10.78-7-osmc used before june 6 2023 the rpi-poe-plus fan was working but after june 6 2023 with kernel 5.15.83-3-osmc it has stopped working. See debug info below:

sudo dtoverlay -v rpi-poe-plus
DTOVERLAY[debug]: using platform ‘bcm2835’
DTOVERLAY[debug]: overlay map loaded
run_cmd: which dtoverlay-pre >/dev/null 2>&1 && dtoverlay-pre
DTOVERLAY[debug]: loading file ‘/boot/overlays/rpi-poe-plus.dtbo’
DTOVERLAY[debug]: fragment 5 disabled
DTOVERLAY[debug]: fragment 6 disabled
DTOVERLAY[debug]: merge_fragment(/fragment@4/overlay/poe@51,/fragment@11/overlay)
DTOVERLAY[debug]: merge_fragment(/fragment@4/overlay/poe@51/rpi-poe-power-supply@f2,/fragment@11/overlay/rpi-poe-power-supply@f2)
DTOVERLAY[debug]: +prop(compatible)
DTOVERLAY[debug]: +prop(reg)
DTOVERLAY[debug]: +prop(status)
DTOVERLAY[debug]: merge_fragment() end
DTOVERLAY[debug]: merge_fragment() end
DTOVERLAY[debug]: wrote 4337 bytes to ‘/tmp/.dtoverlays/0_rpi-poe-plus.dtbo’
DTOVERLAY[debug]: wrote 4337 bytes to ‘/sys/kernel/config/device-tree/overlays/0_rpi-poe-plus/dtbo’

• Failed to apply overlay ‘0_rpi-poe-plus’ (kernel)
    run_cmd: which dtoverlay-post >/dev/null 2>&1 && dtoverlay-post

I have a couple at hand to test. I can check this out.

There have been some hardware revisions however. Do you know when you bought the HAT?

Sam

I bought it this year so my best guess is that it is a version from 2022-2023.
This exact model: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GR9XQJH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think I have all of the POE+ Hat models.
They fairly recently refreshed things, and I did test that, but on 5.10.

Leave it with me to investigate and enquire with Pi team if necessary.

Sam

Thank you :slight_smile:

An update:
Installed the image OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20230505.img.gz on another SD and with this image the fan is running so it seems something has changed between OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20230505.img.gz and OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20230606.img.gz.

Well yes - they use different kernels…

Same issue, reproduced/confirmed on fresh install of OSMC 2023.06-1. Fan runs during installation while unpacking files but not after reboot into OSMC. Confirmed with two separate RPi4-400s, one with official RPi POE Hat 2021, the other with official RPI POE Hat 2018. Fan runs normally on fresh installs of RPi Bullseye with kernel 6.1 on both units. Please let me know if I can supply additional info. Thank you!

No need – should be reproducible here. I have both Pi POE HATs. I don’t have a lot of time presently, so will initially defer to @popcornmix on the offchance there’s an obvious fix (kernel or FW bump)

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam,
Does the July update solve this issue?
Regards,
Michael

I could not reproduce the issue here on any model of POE Hat.

I will try the new version on another memory card and see if that works. I will report back the result.

No cigar :confused:

1. Flashed a new sdcard with the OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20230729.img image
  2. When rpi started fan was running
  3. Completed initial setup (fan was still running)
  4. The last step is to press ‘exit’ to end initial setup to open the home screen. As soon as a pressed ‘exit’ the fan stopped running
    5 Rebooting the rpi did not start the fan and several reboots did not change this

Apparently it seems that the initial setup kills the fan!

I have new rpi 4 which I will setup with the same image (for rpi 4 offcourse). I will report back

Michael

Thanks – I’ve tested with every model of POE Hat that RPT have sent me.

I have been testing on Pi 4 however, not Pi 2. I did not even know the HAT works on Pi 2.

Sorry, maybe I forgot to tell you that the rpi that causes problems is a rpi 3b

I see… I’ve only been testing on Pi 4…

This is why I like full logs.

Let me know if there is something I can do or you need me to test a patch etc.

Without logs, I can’t speculate as to what the issue is.

I tried with a pi4 today but exactly the same thing happen. The instance I press exit after initial configuration the fan dies a never comes back to life again.

What is the content of your:

• /boot/config.txt
  • /boot/config-user.txt

Installed the OSMC_TGT_rbp4_20230505.img.gz image on the pi4 and then the fan works as expected.
I notice that this folder disappears after initial install and never comes back:
/sys/class/thermal/cooling_device0
That might very well be the reason for no fan activity since the driver is not loaded.