RPI2 + Hyperion + OSMC

thanks miappa I just done what you said and it works again thankyou very much gentleman :grinning:

Add the following to config.txt:

dtparam=spi=on

config.txt has every setting with line feed in between, so every setting must be on itĀ“s own line.
If you are on Windows, do not use notepad as it uses the wrong line feed for Linux (CRLF instead of LF), use something like notepad++ or similar.
If you are on OSX or Linux you are good to go with pretty much any text editor.

Good to hear, enjoy

Sam,

Is there any progress in building a hyperion package?
That would be the only reason to install the RC for me atm :smile:

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi. Today, IĀ“ve installed OSMC on my Raspberry PI 2, then IĀ“ve installed hyperion in exact same order as is shown in tvdzwan installing guide. After ā€œsudo sh ./install_hyperion.shā€ it failed with this error:
Failed to start hyperion.service: Unit hyperion.service failed to load: No such file or directory. The whole installing log is belowā€¦ Any clues what to do?

Thank you for you help

hyperion installation log:
Failed to stop hyperion.service: Unit hyperion.service not loaded.
Downloading hyperion
converted ā€˜https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tvdzwan/hyperion/master/deploy/hype rion.tar.gzā€™ (ANSI_X3.4-1968) ā†’ ā€˜https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tvdzwan/hype rion/master/deploy/hyperion.tar.gzā€™ (UTF-8)
ā€“2015-03-05 22:53:59-- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tvdzwan/hyperion/mast er/deploy/hyperion.tar.gz
Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)ā€¦ 185.31.17.133
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|185.31.17.13 3|:443ā€¦ connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting responseā€¦ 200 OK
Length: 7703220 (7.3M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ā€˜STDOUTā€™
ā€¢ 100%[=====================>] 7.35M 2.95MB/s in 2.5s

2015-03-05 22:54:06 (2.95 MB/s) - written to stdout [7703220/7703220]

Installing startup script in init.d
insserv: warning: script ā€˜hyperionā€™ missing LSB tags and overrides
Failed to start hyperion.service: Unit hyperion.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

I have emailed Johan and will hope to have Hyperion in the App Store soon

Sam

4 Likes

i have the same issue with the RC

Hi Guys,
I had the same problem and now it works good after i enabled SPI

See link to enable SPI
enter link description here

You will need to add ā€œdtparam=spi=onā€ to your config.txt and reboot.

1. sudo nano /boot/config.txt

2. you must edit a new line in this screen, under the existing codes
    The line that you must add is: dtparam=spi=on

3. Press then CTRL+X (it wil ask if you want to save the new config.txt, press ā€œYā€ for yes)

4. For a reboot, type: sudo reboot

And after that, you should be good to go.
Enjoy using SPI.

2 Likes

im still getting this back

ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/etc/hyperion.config.jsonā€™: File exists
Installing startup script in init.d
insserv: warning: script ā€˜K01hyperionā€™ missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script ā€˜hyperionā€™ missing LSB tags and overrides
Failed to start hyperion.service: Unit hyperion.service failed to load: No suchfile or directory.

Hi! Thank you, this helped to me!! Mjhunt, try aplini67Ā“s advice, enable SPI. Very simple, but working.

as anyone had any luck getting the utv007 working with a Rpi2

So, I just switched from my Pi B with Raspbmc to the Pi2 with OSMC RC and my Hyperion ā€œflickersā€. It flickers when playing video and also when just using solid colors or effects with the hyperion remote or via command line (the last thing I used in my video demonstration. But the rate, how often it flickers is relatively the same with video, solid or effects). I use WS2801, tried all sort of things in the config. No luck. Over at the Xbian forums, they said, its a bug caused by bad GPIO programing in conjunction with the Kernel (Fault by Hyperion), (Thread: hyperion flickering on xbian but not raspbmc).

Now here on the other hand, I read, that it works flawlessly for other users. I donā€™t know, if it even makes sense to post my config, because I tried 100 different settings, and it didnā€™t change a thing. If I connect my old Pi B with raspbmc on it, than hyperion works flawlessly. So the fault canā€™t be in the power supply or the LEDs itself, or am I missing something? So either my Raspberry 2 is somehow broken or its a software problem.

I made a short video, because maybe its easier to understand than (Sorry for potato quality, my phone doesnā€™t handle low light very good): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwpqi0VIJwnvOHNpNW5aUnBKTFk/view
So you can see the flicker, when i start hyperion (0:03, 0:06) and also when I enable a solid color for 20 seconds (0:13, 0:14, 0:18, 0:19, 0:22, 0:23, 0:24, 0:27, 0:29, 0:31).

With flicker I mean: All the LEDs blink with all 3 colors at their brightest for a fraction of a time.

Anybody got an Idea what to do, or where to look further (here or hyperion)? Has it something to do with the Kernel? Is there another software, (CLI, that is easy to use) that I can use to test if this problem only occurs with hyperion?I really donā€™t want to get back to my old pi just because of the ambilight, because I love how fast now everything worksā€¦ For the people with the same configuration (RPi2 w. fresh OSMC RC and WS2801 LEDs): Did you had to setup something differently in comparison to the old Pi?

Thanks!

I had the same flicker like you. My guess is the datacable. Since I installed a ferrit core on it I had no flicker at all. Hope this can help you.

I had also flickering and evaluated, that this was correlating with network traffic (I used a seperate WLAN-LAN Access Point). So I changed to a WLAN-USB adapter and now I have no flickering any more. Maybe you can try temporally to remove your LAN-cable?.?

Im not 100% sure, if it really was this case, but I installed a ferrit core, realigned the cables and reinstalled everything, and the flickering is gone! Thanks

I have the same issuesā€¦

After some test i try a usb ethernet adaptater for another reason ā€¦ and now i have not flickering anymore.

Try you video on a usb stick or on the sd card.

1 Like

Same issue - blinking- for me with RPi2 and OSMC RC, ws2801 and when playing movies from my nas (synology). From Mediathek it is ok. Also when using a usb grabber (fushicai) and video from there it is ok.

Ferrit core around data cable doesnā€™t help.
Will try other than the current used lan connectionā€¦

Are there more people with this issue?
Is it kernel related?
With RPi B+ and Raspbmc everything was fine with unchanged config/equipmentā€¦

I figured it out (for my case)!!!

I forgot a small but important detail: I also changed my Raspberry Power Adapter!

So before with my problems I used a 1200mAh power supply (the same I used for my Raspberry Pi 1 B). The day, I rearranged everything, I also exchanged that for my new IKEA Koppla power strip (http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/90280826/), to power my Pi through one of the USB Ports (which supplies 2600mAh). Now yesterday I needed the power strip elsewhere, so I connected the Pi to my old 1200 power supply. And there and behold: The flickering was back.

Now with the more powerful Koppla, the flickering is gone.
So my theory: Even though the LED Strips have their own Power to run properly, the Pi needs more energy when using the SPI connectors.

Thanks for your answer.

In my case I think it isnā€™t the power supply, because I already use a 4A for the RPi (with usb grabber) and also a separate 4A for the LED stripe.
I have also used this power supply before on the well running RPi B+. Nothing changed, expect the RPi 2 and the OS (from Raspbmc to OSMC).

The RPi 2 is running well with hyperion and config using the usb grabber input, also on hyperion with kodi config and watching mediathek.
It is also running well if Iā€™m running hyperion with video grabber config, switched my AVR/TV to OSMC and seeing the OSMC main menu and navigating or show mediathek content (the LEDs are shown like the video grabber source, because videograbber config).
It is equal how hyperion is running (kodi config or videograbber config), since I start a movie from my NAS the LEDs are starting with flickering.

I will test with other LAN connectionā€¦
Maybe it has something to do with hardware-/software transcodingā€¦

I have also some flickering and it is due to electrical interference. It is due to my USB DVB-T dongle which when scanning or playing live tv makes hyperion flickers.

I did not know about ferrite so will test with some attached to the USB cables.