RPI3B+ - upgrading to Kodi v19 broke video (probably?)


Using stock OSMC on RaspbAfter upgrading to v19, mediacenter.service started failing. TV screen displays boot logs with [OK] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes being the last line.

Things I tried

At first mediacenter complained on not finding nmblookup command, so I installed samba-common-bin. Now it complains about Mesa and I feel really stuck.

Logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/bofewenape

You installed your own version of mesa. This isn’t supported and will stop the Kodi UI from starting.

Given the state of your system and the changes made, I’d just take a backup and start fresh. Your system is far from ‘stock’ as you described.


I’m getting a similar behavior on a new rpi4 install. After installing Samba through OSMC app store.


I’ve already tried to reinstall mediacenter doing the following (as described here)
But problem still persists

@sam_nazarko Anything else I can do?

This is your problem:

Log started: 2021-08-18  17:04:05
Removing rbp4-device-osmc (1.0.8) ...
WARNING: You have tried to remove a package that is essential to OSMC's operation.
To undo these changes, run 'sudo apt-get -f install'.
dpkg: error processing package rbp4-device-osmc (--remove):
 installed rbp4-device-osmc package pre-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: rbp4-mediacenter-osmc: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
 rbp4-device-osmc depends on rbp4-mediacenter-osmc.

You tried for some reason to install rbp2-mediacenter-osmc:

Start-Date: 2021-08-18  17:04:05
Commandline: /usr/bin/apt-get-real install --reinstall rbp2-mediacenter-osmc
Requested-By: osmc (1000)
Install: rbp2-mediacenter-osmc:armhf (19.1.0-14)
Remove: rbp4-mediacenter-osmc:armhf (19.1.0-14), rbp4-device-osmc:armhf (1.0.8)
Error: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
End-Date: 2021-08-18  17:04:12

But your device is a Pi 4.
You should reinstall.

1 Like

Yes, I see now, thanks! I did in fact make my situation unsolvable this way. Already did a clean reinstall which works well. Still, the issue happened before I did any manual changes (e.g. before I tried to reinstall both mediacenter and mesa packages). As I can’t reproduce this anymore, I’ll close this topic. Thanks @sam_nazarko!