RPi4 slow performance after a few years of use

Hey there,

I’ve been using OSMC on a Raspberry Pi 4 for a few years now and the performance has become really slow when navigating the UI and playing videos. The performance issues are there if the video is on the local network or online.

To be clear, I’m not talking about buffering or any other playback issues once the video is loaded, that works fine. It’s mostly the time between clicking a video and the player opening that has gotten really long. You can almost go make yourself a cup of tea in between.

Sometimes just paging around the UI or opening an addon will have the same loading time, even crashing totally on occasion (which used to be a very rare occurrence).

My gut response is this sounds like maybe an issue with the SD card on which everything is installed. But what would be a good way to test this?
Also is this kind of behaviour something others have witnessed after long term use on a Raspberry Pi?

Any help troubleshooting this would be really appreciated.

As always debug enabled logs are the best starting point to investigate.
Second option clone the SD Card to a new SD card and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks… logs are here:
https://paste.osmc.tv/ixamakelov

This is opening a local movie and two online videos from two different add-ons.
Seemed to be running a bit quicker today, but still fairly slow.

Can you delete ~/.kodi/temp and then reboot and see if that changes things?

1 Like

That’s definitely made an improvement in the time it takes to open videos. Opening and navigating add-ons is still quite slow but that could be to do with fetching data from the various services.

1 Like