Rtsp skipping frames

Hi, I have recently acquired an ip security camera, which I can view using an rtsp url:

rtsp://admin:admin@192.168.1.23/1

I have saved the url in a .strm file, and also tried in a .m3u file but the problem is the same.
Its skipping about 10 frames every second, which when you consider its only a 25fps feed, is quite a lot…and results in very jerky viewing.

I can view the same feed in Kodi on my Mac, v18.2, and there are zero dropped frames, and also in vlc on my Mac is the same.

Vero4k is running latest stable release, and is hardwired into my network, Mac is wireless.
Ive tried a completely fresh Kodi profile (renamed .kodi > .kodi_bak), restarted but the problem is the same.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this.
Cheers

https://paste.osmc.tv/vafifaxifo

Did you try to disable hw acceleration in settings to see what happens?

What on the Vero?
I haven’t but I will try that…

Well its made a difference…its not skipping frames anymore but every 15-20 seconds the screen goes black for 2-5 seconds, before resuming.

I hope @sam_nazarko or someone else that knows more about this stuff can help you.

Providing a mediainfo log or short sample of the video that gives you trouble would probably help

Cool, i’ve tried mediainfo but its not giving me any output?

the output of ffprobe is:

Input #0, rtsp, from 'rtsp://admin:admin@192.168.1.23/1':Metadata: title : 10 Duration: N/A, start: 0.000000, bitrate: N/A Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (Main), yuvj420p(pc, bt709, progressive), 1920x1080, 25 tbr, 90k tbn, 180k tbc Stream #0:1: Audio: pcm_alaw, 8000 Hz, 1 channels, s16, 64 kb/s

not sure how to get a sample? from ffmpeg?

Maybe this helps command line - Using ffmpeg to cut up video - Super User

Never did it myself so i just googled it

(sorry, didn’t notice that we’re talking about real time streaming protocol, purged my previous post)

Is this a Hikvision camera?
If so — disable H264+. It’s a proprietary codec.

no I don’t think so Sam, its a no brand aliexpress job.

The only video settings I’ve got are baseline/mainprofile/highprofile, and some general resolution and bitrate adjustments.

My workaround atm is to set it up in Tvheadend as an iptv channel, and pipe it through ffmpeg…and it seems to have done the trick, ive left it running for about 30 minutes earlier and its only skipped 5 frames, which is more than acceptable for a 20 quid camera.

Added bonus is its very easy now to record as I would any other tv channel.