Running out of space on my Vero 4k

Hi–

I’m running out of space on my Vero 4k: only 394M out of 13.8G drive are still available on the disk.

I checked the directories with the largest disk usage via console (sudo du . -h -x --max-depth=1).

On the root level, the directories with the largest disk usage are:

• /home (~5.8G or 45% of total disk space)
  • /var (~5.6G or 44% of total disk space)

Digging further revealed:

• /var:
    • /cache (5.5G out of 5.6G)
      • /apt (5.5G)
        • /archives (5.4G)
        • (reminder appear to be files (0.1G))
          • /partial (7.2M)
          • (majority appear to be files (5.4G))

Is ist safe to delete everything in the /var/cache/apt directory (eg. with apt-get clean / apt-get auto-clean)? Are there any disadvantages?

• /home/osmc (5.8G)
    • /.kodi (5.8G)
      • /userdata (2.5G)
        • mostly Thumbnails (2.2G), so no “problem”
      • /temp (1.9G)
        • mostly two gz files associated with the Backup AddOn. One stemming from May 2019 (?) and one gz file created this morning. I don’t fully understand why the gz files is still present on the Vero: I can see a backup on the external storage (NAS) with the same timestamp, so, why is it still there (maybe couldn’t be move due to limited disk space, I guess)

Is it safe to delete everything in the /home/osmc/temp directory (e.g., with rm -r /home/osmc/temp/*)?

Thank you. Stay safe and sound! Markus

Yes, running sudo apt-get clean is fine.
Do you normally update your system via My OSMC or the command line?

Thanks Sam.

I update OSMC from the interface, that is, every time I see a notification in KODI that there is an OSMC update available.

M

What about the temp directory? Safe to delete everything in it? (I suppose it should be safe judging from the name of the directory)

M

Yes but as you wrote just remove the gz files as I doubt the log files taking too much space

true :wink:

Thanks, M

The next update should clean up old APT archives and prevent this from causing an issue for other users in the future.

Cheers

Sam

2 Likes