Running Stremio

I’m trying to run Stremio (stremio-shell/DEBIAN.md at master · Stremio/stremio-shell · GitHub) on my Vero 4K+.

It’s built and installed fine but on running I get:

qt.qpa.screen: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display :0
Could not connect to any X display

Which I understand to be because OSMC does not run a X display server? If so what is it running? Wayland? Does anyone know how I can get a QT application running?

If I recall correctly, Kodi runs under framebuffer.

I’ve made a simple addon for xwindows on osmc, but current implementation, it wont run along side kodi. The addons shutsdown kodi and starts an xserver.

check it out here:

Interesting thanks. Does anyone know if it’s possible to run Stremio with Framebuffer directly? I’m assuming that would be more performant here?

Any possibility of OSMC offering it as an alternative to Kodi?

It looks like you’re trying to run a Qt application which uses X11. This won’t work on an OSMC installation out of the box.

Thanks for confirming. Does OSMC/Kodi on the Vero bypass display servers (X.org/Wayland) entirely then? Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

Yes it does.

1 Like
  1. Probably, but it’s not just a 5 minutes job. Read about it here Qt for Embedded Linux | Qt 5.15

2. Most likely, if you manage make sure the software doesn’t have any other X windows dependecies except for qt5.

3. Doubt that, but Sam would have the final word

Thanks for that link, really helpful. Have I understood right that EGLFS is something that QT as a whole is built with rather than the individual application? And if so would my steps here be roughly:

1. Compile QT itself on the Vero 4K+ with EGLFS
  2. Compile Stremio, this time using the QT from step 1 rather than from debian repositories

Qt can be compiled in a way that uses EGL as a rendering backend and older versions of Qt have their own internal windowing system that use QWS which renders directly to framebuffer. QWS has a performance penalty but is lean in terms of dependencies – which is why we use it for our target installers.

I think this is beyond the scope of this forum however.