Sad face and frequent crashes when viewing pictures

Hi,

I have just copied my photo’s library over to my hard drive connected to the Vero 4K+ (latest build) and am getting pretty frequent crashes and black screens and also sad face crashes when trying to view the pictures. I enabled debugging and I have uploaded a log file to here: https://paste.osmc.tv/aguwiwacen

Can anyone take a look and give me a clue as to what I am doing wrong?

The pictures are all in folders and are mostly jpg files with a few mpg and mov files in some of the folders. The last crash happened when in folder

Holiday - Looe March 2022

All I was doing was looking at the thumbnails as they were being generated and moving down the list of pictures (no slideshow in progress at this stage).

Most of the other times it is crashing during a slideshow too.

I hope I have given all of the log files required. I also had an option set to show the CPU usage while in the folders and noticed the KODI-CPU was ofter going from low (20% to 340% on occasion). I assume this is because there are 4CPU’s and it is 400% max.

One other thing. I did take a look at the log and was going to auto upload it BUT… The log clearly shows the PASSWORDINPLAINTEXTWASHERE

which is a little dangerous. Maybe that can be parsed out of the auto upload going forward???

Many thanks
Paul

Is the drive externally powered?

Sam

Hi sam,

No its not. It is a low powered drive though (it’s a 2.5" drive in a caddy). I have no issues playing movies (full HD) and playing Music etc from the drive. Only, it seems, the generation of thumbnails. I also tried a different skin (OSMC and Amber) and so far seems more stable there. I was using the Extuary skin as I preferred it but this seems to do more thubnail generation “on-the-fly”. Does that sound plausible?

Not had a crash on Amber or OSMC (yet).

Thanks
Paul

We don’t support using non-powered devices on the Vero 4K/4K+.

It could be a corrupt file causing this crash.
Thumbnail handling should be the same across all skins.

Hi,

Was there anyting of use in the logs to give an indication?

I have a different caddy that has a Y helper (power) cable. I assume it would be okay to plug the data part into the Vero and the helper part into the TV’s USB port (to give it the extra juice). I assume that is supported on Vero / Vero 4K?

I don’t know if that will necessary give enough power to the drive.

Your log shows Kodi is crashing due to a segmentation fault. Could be caused by a corrupt file and ffmpeg crashes when extracting a thumbnail.

Okay Sam, thanks for that. Is there any way I can determine which specific file(s) it is barfing on as I have probably 1000-1500 pictures in total over around 50 folders. I appreciate that it’s possibly not a Vero or OSMC issue but any pointers on how to identify the file would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Are the logs I uploaded for you “Kodi” logs as the Kodi support forums would want to see or do I need to use the Program Add-ons > Kodi Log Uploader and upload some logs to the Kodi support team for this one?? I don’t want to abuse your goodwill on this forum :slight_smile:

Hi,

You can upload logs via My OSMC.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Hi Sam,

I did already upload this in the post above however…

It has not crashed since so I am a happy man. I think part of the problem was some very old AVI files encoded by an old Canon Camera. Kodi was barfing on them. I have converted these to MP4 and replaced them now.

BTW. The USB helper cable (extra power from the TV seems to be working well with no backflushing of power to the Vero so I will stick with that. No problems encountered with the drive.

for completeness… I did also convert the media portable hard drive from exFAT to EXT4 as I was finding that when (if) the vero did crash it was corrupting exFAT. Not a problem becasue I can copy files over using SMB or WinSCP or even (at a push) boot my PC into a Linux mint and transfer files faster (if they are big and many in number).

The one thing that still is a bit of a worry is the password that is not being stripped out of the logs as mentined in the original post when it is uploaded using the build-in tools. In my log file created and uploaded the password is at the point:

%setting% id=“services.webserverusername” default=“true”>osmc %/setting%
%setting id=“services.webserverpassword”>PASSWORD IS SHOWN HERE FOR ALL TO SEE %/setting%

< and > replaced by % so it displays correctly in this post :slight_smile:

not a problem for those who know but for those who changed the password to a secure password (that they might use for other things) it is a bit of a worry. It does mention in the Wiki that you try to strip out personal infomration and passwords - did this one get missed of the stripping out?

Thanks
Paul

Best practices would never include making Kodi’s webserver accessible from outside your local lan. These best practices also absolutely include using unique passwords for all logins and services. If your lan is compromised, access to the Kodi webserver is the very least of your worries.

1 Like

Agreed :slight_smile:
It would still be good to get any passwords stripped out of the logs

@anxdpanic is working on this and @grahamh has been testing

:smiley: Thanks for that.