Sad face boot loop after update (WiFi only)

Hey there, folks:

I’ve had OSMC working for a while—recently, due to a relocation of this particular TV, I started using WiFi. I implemented it successfully (Edimax EW-7811UTC) and all was working to plan… until I decided to run an update this afternoon. I noticed that during the update, it also updated the WiFi drivers (could be relevant). Now, when I attempt to boot it up, I get the OSMC splash screen, then a little bar at the top appears telling me it’s trying to sync the time over HTTP and when it reaches about 29 seconds, it boots to the sad faced gentleman and continues in an infinite boot loop that way.

When I bring the Pi into another room that has LAN (but no TV), it boots up fine as I’m able to SSH into it at that point (cannot SSH during boot loop).

I did another apt-get update just to be safe (no updates) and tried running a fsck in case it was the read-only problem I’ve read about on the forums, but I get the “dev/---- is mounted. […] Cannot continue, aborting.,” which I interpret as it being mounted and working.

At this point, I’m at a loss. Your tips / tricks would be appreciated. I’m 60% newb.

Here’s the relevant info:

Device: Rasp Pi B
Installation media: SDcard (13GB free / rw)
Connection: WiFi
Power Supply Type: MicroUSB to wall charger
Power specs:
Peripherals: Logitech wireless keyboard & Edimax EW-7811UTC WiFi dongle
Storage Device: NAS via SMB
OSMC version: 2015.08-1
XBMC version: Kodi (15.1) - Kodi x32 build (version for Raspberry Pi)
Codecs: I can’t remember if I enabled these
Audio/Video Output: HDMI
Overclocked: No

journalctl | paste-log: http://paste.osmc.io/lakowaxebe
paste-log /var/log/apt/term.log: http://paste.osmc.io/uxehicudiw
paste-log /var/log/apt/history.log: http://paste.osmc.io/oqiyihabuq
dmesg | paste-log: (3 link limit)paste.osmc.io/oxajijosil

Hard to tell for sure as you didn’t provide a kodi.log but it looks like you use a remote MySQL install ? If so these errors suggest that Kodi is unable to connect to the database:

Sep 07 19:28:48 osmc mediacenter[240]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'dbiplus::DbErrors'

And looking elsewhere in the log it appears you have an unusual network configuration:

Sep 07 19:28:08 osmc connmand[219]: wlan0 {add} address 160.168.0.98/24 label wlan0 family 2
Sep 07 19:28:08 osmc connmand[219]: wlan0 {add} route 160.168.0.0 gw 0.0.0.0 scope 253 <LINK>
Sep 07 19:28:08 osmc connmand[219]: wlan0 {add} route 160.168.0.1 gw 0.0.0.0 scope 253 <LINK>
Sep 07 19:28:08 osmc connmand[219]: wlan0 {add} route 178.62.84.106 gw 160.168.0.1 scope 0 <UNIVERSE>
Sep 07 19:28:08 osmc connmand[219]: wlan0 {del} route 178.62.84.106 gw 160.168.0.1 scope 0 <UNIVERSE>

Either you have your Pi directly on the internet without a NAT firewall (bad idea) or you have non-standard IP addressing on your local network - whilst you might have got away with that before, recent versions of connman will not accept invalid local IP addresses assigned by DHCP, so you’ll need to fix your local network and DHCP server to use valid RFC1918 compliant IP ranges.

[quote=“DBMandrake, post:2, topic:7653, full:false”]
Hard to tell for sure as you didn’t provide a kodi.log but it looks like you use a remote MySQL install ? If so these errors suggest that Kodi is unable to connect to the database[/quote]

Figure this might be because of the network connection issue over WiFi? How do I generate the kodi.log via SSH (sorry, like I said, 60% newb)? Yes, I do use a shared library for multiple instances of Kodi in my place.

I feel like historically, it has still booted though when the mySQL database was offline.

You’re right, I have a custom IP range on my home network.

How recent was this change? This is the way I’ve always configured my network and the version of OSMC that I had earlier today that worked just fine with my DHCP configuration was not an unrecent version… potentially less than 2 weeks old, if I were to guess.

(By the way, thank you for the response!)

paste-log /home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

If Kodi is not running this is the only thing you can do otherwise toggle on debugging with xbmc-send --action=“ToggleDebug”

1 Like

Well… After restarting the mySQL database, the Pi was able to boot into OSMC successfully. What a stupid problem to cause all of this grief and to annoyingly coincide with the update… Thanks for suggesting that, @DBMandrake, otherwise I would have never assumed that to be a factor in this mess.