Sad face loop after splash screen

Hi

Just got a sad face loop after the osmc splash screen. I just installed a retrogaming addon.

Heres three error lines from kodi.log

20:56:51 85.279167 T:1954739136 ERROR: EGL error in InitDisplay: 3001
20:56:51 85.279259 T:1954739136 ERROR: InitWindowSystem: Could not create display
20:56:51 85.279297 T:1954739136 FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init windowing system

I can get to the recovery console by pressing arrow keys.

Any advice thanks

Can you explain exactly what you ran?

Looks like you’ve installed something that might have messed up /opt/vc/lib. You can try sudo apt-get install --reinstall rbp-userland-osmc.

S

Can you explain exactly what you ran?

Looks like you’ve installed something that might have messed up /opt/vc/lib. You can try sudo apt-get install --reinstall rbp-userland-osmc.

S

Hi sam

I installed this addon

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=276002

I dont think i let it run fully while installing which might of messed things up.

tried sudo apt-get install --reinstall rbp-userland-osmc but no luck

Also tried mv .kodi kodi.bak

Any other suggestions thanks

EDIT: Looking through /proc folder i see everything is 0B.

That’s normal that most files under /proc will be 0 length.

ok thanks. I thought addons didnt mess with system files. i should have made regular img backups. Lesson learned i guess.

You said that you don’t think you let the setup completely run. How did you abort the setup; pull the power? If you did pull the power, you may have filesystem corruption. If you have a linux system handy (or a linux LiveCD like Ubuntu or Mint) you could try putting the CD card in the linux system and do a fsck on the SD card.

it said please wait for long while so i pressed esc to cancel. I then restarted system and sad face happened. Ill try the fsck on the card thanks

no luck with fsck. i guess ill have to do a reinstall tomorrow if theres no other suggestions.

A reinstall would have been my next suggestion.

No logs ?

We can only guess without seeing logs.

grab-logs -A

http://paste.osmc.io/azedasekor

Thanks

Jun 27 06:36:59 osmc mediacenter[351]: libEGL warning: DRI2: xcb_connect failed
Jun 27 06:36:59 osmc mediacenter[351]: libEGL warning: DRI2: xcb_connect failed
Jun 27 06:36:59 osmc mediacenter[351]: ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting
Jun 27 06:36:59 osmc mediacenter[351]: *** Error in `/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin': corrupted double-linked list: 0x038ac210 ***

It looks like you have installed an alternative OpenGL library on this system - this will prevent Kodi working.

You seem to have loads of X11 packages installed, in response to these commands: (taken from the apt history.log)

Commandline: apt-get -y install lxde-core xserver-xorg xinit
Commandline: apt-get install xfce4-mixer gstreamer0.10-alsa
Commandline: apt-get install -y libpulse-dev libsdl2-dev

I would remove the above packages then run an apt-get autoremove afterwards and you might be lucky.

Basically, don’t try to install X11 on OSMC, that is what has caused your issue. (lxde is an X11 window manager, thus installing this installs the entire X11 system including Mesa OpenGL libraries)

I installed x11 testing this thread

https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/testing-x11-simple-desktop-chromium-web-browser-in-a-simple-installer/

Ill try your suggestions above

thanks

your a legend DB got it back up up and running :smiley:

Thanks ill make sure from now on to create a testing system if im gona try out new stuff

cheers man

how do i move my kodi.bak back again.

is it mv kod.bak .kodi

Great to hear it worked - I would report back to that testing thread that it messed your system up and provide the same log that you did here so that they can see what went wrong.

Whilst its theoretically possible to set up X11 on OSMC and switch between Kodi and X11 this is not currently supported and can easily lead to the sort of problem you just had.

Always take care (backups etc) when trying anything in the testing thread, especially anything not endorsed by the OSMC devs.

To move your .kodi backup you would stop Kodi first:

sudo systemctl stop mediacenter

Then move it:

rm -f .kodi
mv .kodi.bak .kodi

(Assuming that is the correct name of your backup) then restart Kodi:

sudo systemctl start mediacenter

yeah it may been fault on my part as i did try an install other utilities such as alsa mixer an so forth, cause not many ppl on that thread are reporting problems.

Thanks again DB Ill mark this as solved.