Sad Face Loop after today's OSMC update

OSMC v 20.01 on RPi 4 - new installation on Monday on 32gb SD card purchased from OSMC with image pre loaded. Working well until message re OSMC update popped up this morning and I clicked yes to install update. Installation proceeded, system rebooted but then sad face appeared. On auto reboot, error message came up (too fast to read) followed by sad face again. This kept repeating (without actually loading the os) until I powered off. When I powered on again a whole string of stuff appeared, identifying a problem and culminating in a line confirming repair was complete, followed by the start up procedure, no messages this time, get the initial blue screen with OSMC logo then goes straight into sad face loop which continues until powering off.

Not sure how to produce a log in this instance to enable someone to help. Would be grateful if anyone could advise?
(P.S. pensioner with limited techy know how)

Are you able to connect a PC with ssh? Accessing the command line - General - OSMC
You won’t be able to see the Pi’s IP address of course. Try ssh osmc@osmc. If that doesn’t work you will have to log in to your router and identify the Pi from the list of connected devices and use that IP address.

Then, you can log in and run this

systemctl stop mediacenter
grab-logs -A

Copy and paste the displayed URL here and we can take a look.

1 Like

Thanks for replying. I can SSH in and have duly done so following your instructions above but I think it’s going to be a fresh reinstall - the stop mediacenter command was obeyed resulting in a black screen, but no log url was produced, presumably due to the rest of the blurb re “Fatal error” copied and pasted below:

login as: osmc
osmc@..*. password:
Linux osmc2 5.15.83-2-osmc #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 7 04:20:21 UTC 2023 aarch64

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Wed Jul 12 16:30:49 2023 from —.—.—.–
Fatal Python error: init_import_site: Failed to import the site module
Python runtime state: initialized
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site.py”, line 79, in
import os
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/os.py”, line 27, in
import stat as st
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘stat’
osmc@osmc2:~$ systemctl stop mediacenter
osmc@osmc2:~$ grab-logs -A
Fatal Python error: init_import_site: Failed to import the site module
Python runtime state: initialized
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site.py”, line 79, in
import os
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/os.py”, line 27, in
import stat as st
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘stat’
osmc@osmc2:~$

I’m assuming it is dead!!!

It looks like the install might be corrupted.

I’d suggest reinstalling OSMC from Download - OSMC as it’s unclear what may be missing / corrupted on this system

1 Like

As I feared Sam. Do I need to reformat the card before downloading afresh?

You don’t need to prep the card. If your using the OSMC installer it will take care of everything for you.

Before that you might try

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and see if that gets you anywhere.

1 Like

Cheers. I’ll give it a try but not hopeful. Thanks for the assistance - as always.

@darwindesign I tried your suggestion as a last reort but unfortunately without success so I have today done a complete fresh install - so far all working fine :ok_hand:
Once again - thanks to everyone who tried to help.

2 Likes