Sad face loop - Raspberry 2 and June update

I updated my OSMC today (June update). After the restart it’s now stuck on the sad face loop.
Logs here: http://paste.osmc.io/ujuhicuzuc

You don’t have debug logging on for Kodi, so it’s hard to see the issue. Have you tried moving your Kodi directory away as a test? You may have an incompatible skin or add-on (depending on which version you updated from) and if it was pre-Jarvis.

These logs don’t even show a Kodi failure loop. They show attempts to play media.

Same for me with Rpi2 but a hard reboot of the Pi seems to have fixed it.

We would need a log to identify any potential issue

Sam

I know how to update the log level on the OSMC settings. How can I do it via ssh/terminal?

Edit guisettings.xml

Have you tried my suggestion of moving ~.kodi? I would be surprised it if doesn’t work after this. If does, it suggests you have a bad add-on or skin.

1 Like

Thanks.

Tried mv ~./kodi ~/.kodi-backup but no luck. The error persist.
I updated the link with the logs. Getting loads of these 139 errors.

Jun 19 18:15:55 osmc mediacenter[314]: Starting Kodi…
Jun 19 18:15:56 osmc sudo[536]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=osmc ; COMMAND=/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircd
Jun 19 18:15:56 osmc sudo[536]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user osmc by (uid=0)
Jun 19 18:15:56 osmc sudo[536]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user osmc
Jun 19 18:15:56 osmc mediacenter[314]: Kodi exited with return code 139 after 0 hours, 0 minutes and 1 seconds
Jun 19 18:16:07 osmc mediacenter[314]: Starting Kodi…
Jun 19 18:16:07 osmc sudo[553]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=osmc ; COMMAND=/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircd
Jun 19 18:16:07 osmc sudo[553]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user osmc by (uid=0)
Jun 19 18:16:08 osmc sudo[553]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user osmc
Jun 19 18:16:08 osmc mediacenter[314]: Kodi exited with return code 139 after 0 hours, 0 minutes and 1 seconds
Jun 19 18:16:19 osmc mediacenter[314]: Starting Kodi…

More logs:
mount | http://paste.osmc.io/awilegofes
df -h | http://paste.osmc.io/kefoqimare

Is there a way to restore the previous version, prior to the update?

Managed to fix it with
sudo apt-get install rbp2-mediacenter-osmc --reinstall

Maybe something got corrupted during the install?..

Please post complete logs so that we can identify the issue. This snippet does not help.

I don’t think reverting to the previous version will help you until we can identify why you are specifically affected here.

You may have experienced corruption during the update.

Yes – looks like it. Check your power supply and SD card are sufficient. Unfortunately it is not possible to easily determine what else may be corrupted on your system.

This may manifest as an update problem at a later date – the corruption on your system may have been present for some time. I recommend checking the power supply and SD card are adequate.

Hi Sam. I updated the first post with the full logs.
And yes, it was probably a corruption during the update. I ran the command above (see previous post) and it fixed this issue.

How would that line look on the Pi 1?

We’ve had tens of thousand of Pi devices update already. If you’re experiencing a sad face loop now, I suspect:

• You experienced corruption during or before the update, in which case you should verify your peripherals
  • You have updated from a very old, pre-Jarvis version of OSMC and you are now experiencing some incompatibility with your skins or add-ons
  • You have made some command line changes to your system (such as running apt-get upgrade instead of apt-get dist-upgrade) which is known to cause issues.

Without a log though, it’s very difficult to assess what your issue may be. You can change this to:

sudo apt-get install rbp1-mediacenter-osmc --reinstall

but if it does resolve the issue, it suggests subtle corruption on your system that will lead to problems further down the line, and you should look at rectifying that for long term stability.

Hope this helps

Sam

There was no corruption during installation (visible anyway), and no sad face loop. There was some kind of error during auto update of some of the plugins, don’t remember which.
And now I can’t enter any section from the main menu. There’s just a black screen forever. I can only press ‘exit’ (on TV remote) to get back to the main menu. Also, the submenu items text disappear when highlighted. It’s very strange.
I was on May release earlier, and everything was fine. I have experienced none of the other things you pointed out.

Did you try the advice as recommended above? When you have done that, a debug log may give some clues. I believe the previous poster did not see a ‘visible’ sign of corruption, but the manner in which he resolved his problem suggests he did indeed suffer from it.

Elaborating on this would be useful.

I don’t know how to extract logs, except from the Kodi UI. I just decided to format and reinstall a fresh image.

It sounds like you’ve experienced corruption. Unless you double check your PSU and SD card are good, it will likely occur again.

It’s possible… May release is good. Updating…
Locking up when finishing “Romanian” add-on.