Sad face - NO documentation?

It happened to me. I searched the WIKI - NOTHING! Any idea why? WEB searching is not helping either.

LOTS of threads with hundreds of try this, try that but no consistant solution as it seems that various reasons can trigger it.

Sombody wrote the code for triggering this and must understand how/why it pops up. Can they be found and asked to document?

Am I missing something? Can you point me to alternate documentation?

/winge.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

1 Like

If you consumed some of the threads on this forum regarding SadFace, you will have noticed the constant suggestion of debug logs

An over simplified explanation is that when ever you get a SadFace your system has experienced one of “thousands” possible reasons for the Kodi-process to be prematurely / unexpectedly terminated. There might be a gazillion reasons so to make a more nuanced fault-display, but since there is regular updates of the code, which often change behavior of core, add-ons and even OS. That makes a maintaining a more detailed fault-display a “high chance of wasting of time”. OSMC has a small dev. -team, but active and helpful user base. This makes it preferable to diagnose issues in forum, a lesser load on devs. and “your issue” could be solved publicly and another user can enjoy the “solve”.

So to get help regarding your issue, follow @ActionA suggestion

You’re missing some manners.

You found me.

4 Likes

That’s right, there are lots of reasons this could occur and as such there are lots of ways to fix it, we just need to work out which way is needed for you hence the request for logs.

Basically Kodi is crashing and restarting, it’s as simple as that, that’s what triggers this.

It is exactly like that. Do you feel better now? Since you’ve been on the forum for years, you should know that people here are VERY helpful and need the debug logs to do so.
Opening a thread just to blow off steam is certainly not going to increase the motivation of people who want to help you. Thanks for your interest.

2 Likes

I asked a simple question. Manners?

Anyway, I am interested in finding out the triggers for the Sad Face as it might help me diagnose my issue. All the treads I looked at are not helpful for my specific problem. They nearly all depend on having an active network interface which I don’t so SSH is not an option and obviously the OS UI is not up and running yet.

I dual boot Windows/Linux so should be able to mount the SD card to ‘fiddle with files’ if it helps.

However, my main question is why the lack of documentation for something that seems to be somewhat common?

Alternately, how about making the screen more informative? As it looks likely that there are multiple triggers it would be nice to have on screen a more informative error message. Future feature?

There isn’t anything to document: the sad face just means that the operating system is running but that the Kodi application has crashed. There are a great many possible (unrelated) reasons why that might happen - including, for example, an error in a Kodi add-on.

The way you figure out what has happened is by uploading logs, preferably with debugging enabled.

To get as far as a sad face the operating system must be running. If the device has network access then an obvious way forward would be to connect to it via SSH and execute

grab-logs -A

That will upload the logs to the internet and return a URL; posting the URL here will then allow the OSMC guys to get an idea of what’s going on.

If the device doesn’t have network access, then what were you planning on doing with it, exactly, and how were you planning to install updates once they become available? The device needs to be able to access the internet to be able to function properly in the long term.

1 Like

Here is a reply from earlier in the thread:

Ok, just guessing since there is still a lack of information. The first step to negate your "Pi"s boot problem is to rename/move .kodi folder in osmc home folder. Try to restart on the SD card now. If that helps, you could try to read the kodi.log in /home/osmc/[your moved/renamed .kodi-folder]/temp/kodi.log and kodi.old.log for the log from the boot before.

1 Like

In layman’s terms… the Sad face is the equivalent of saying…

“Sorry your vehicle stopped running”

There are HUGE number of reasons that happens.

Try do a web search for “vehicle won’t run”

You get a huge number of possible solutions, most of which won’t work for the fault a specific vehicle has.

The trick is narrowing down the exact problem, out of the huge number is possibilities, and then finding a solution. That is done by having a skilled person methodically diagnose it.

In this case (software and hardware) the people in this forum are very helpful if you help them by giving them the exact info they ask for.

1 Like

Is it safe to assume that if someone is asked to provide logs and fails to do so the person doesn’t want to be helped by the most helpful community on this planet?

8 Likes

I also noticed the lack of documentation about the smiley face, not to mention the winky face.

With software and hardware, there are thousands of things that can go wrong.

Let’s be honest, the lowest end hardware of a raspberry-pi isn’t exactly server-class hardware and lacks redundancies that would be commonly seen in a server.
Throw in using an SDHC card or microSD card which also isn’t exactly the best storage media possible and typically doesn’t have redundancies either, then throw in millions of different possible video and audio file types (every new encoding tool or release of an encoding tool is just a tiny bit different, so bad things can happen.

If everyone in the world used 1 video encoder and that encoder was perfect, creating well-formed files, ALWAYS, then the possible crashes would likely end … at least for simple, local, playback.

Next throw in that we all have slightly different Kodi addons and stream from different internet sights, some with data loss from time to time …

Hopefully, I’ve painted a picture of just a few things that can go wrong. All the software knows is that either it is perfect or it isn’t. When it isn’t, for whatever reason, the software is expected to handle it. That is very hard without a huge budget. I’ve worked on software projects with over 300 full-time programmers where having good code was the goal. I’ve also worked on software projects with 23 full-time programmers where having PERFECT CODE was mandated by the client, no exceptions. Cost didn’t matter. Time didn’t matter. Perfect code.

Let’s just say that no software created by volunteers will be that bug free, regardless of their skill. The more complex any software is, the more layers there are, the more likely there are software errors. IME, any software with a GUI is 1000x more likely to have software errors than software that only allows settings and data to be provided at startup.

So … we are back to something bad happened, somewhere, in one of the 50 software parts or in the hardware or in the network and the sad face is what the GUI shows.

You can look at the logs yourself. Feel free. But when an expert at reading those logs offers to look at them, that is huge! You don’t even know. I look at logs for my job and it sucks. I’m not expert at Kodi/OSMC logs, so I don’t have the ability to quickly scan them and hone in on issues. While I can look through lots of other log types and do that, I can’t for OSMC.

BTW, the logs provide all sorts of useful information. As the software changes, so do the logs. That’s why there isn’t any single place with the answers you seek. Logging code is all over Kodi and all over other libraries which are dependent on your specific setup.

I suppose the only required documentation for “Sad Face” is

Create a log package and post them on the osmc.tv forum for expert help with a description of the issue, what caused it. See How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC

ActionA already provided this answer, but sometimes we need to hear it a few times.

I think the original poster has got the point. If they’re willing to provide some logs, I’m sure we can ascertain what the issue is and resolve it promptly.

Cheers

Sam