Sad face when starting some of TV series (RPi 0 W)

Hello there,

I have a problem. On some of my TV series OSMC crashes to sad face when starting episode, with following in log:

mediacenter[214]: /usr/bin/mediacenter: line 142: 332 Illegal instruction sudo -u osmc LIRC_SOCKET_PATH=/var/run/lirc/lircd $KODI --standalone -fs
mediacenter[214]: Kodi exited with return code 132 after 0 hours, 1 minutes and 49 seconds

I have OSMC on RPi 0 W. Another TV series and movies running “fine” (at small cost of buffering) even 1080p via NFS (files strored on my local Windows PC) over WiFi.

Do anyone know why this happens? Thanks for response.

Would require full debug logs (see below) and also mediainfo of the file you try to play.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

1 Like

Hello, thanks for your info and help, didn’t know this easy log uploading. Here it is:

https://paste.osmc.tv/ariwiherac

If you search “Input #0, matroska,webm, from ‘nfs://192.168.0.10/E/Media/Serialy/Loki (2021)/Season 1/Loki (2021) S01E01.mkv’”, there is i think media info.

Your running a version of OSMC that is a year older than when support was added for the Raspberry Pi Zero W. I would switch to a newer version and see if the issue persists.

The OSMC installer give me this for RPi 0 W as newest, nothing newer, so I stick with it.

Pi0/1 is no longer supported anymore. You are probably running low on memory.

On download page it says that it is supported.

The old images will stay online and can still be used, but there is no longer any support for newer versions.

Sorry about that. I just did a quick search and overlooked that my reference was talking about support for the Pi Zero 2 W (gen 2) and your device is the Pi Zero W (gen 1).

Okay, get it but this version is meant to work with this RPi, do you recommend something to help not doing it? Because what is strange that 15GB movie no problem 1GB episode is problem.

That file your trying to play is compressed in a format (h.265) that your hardware lacks hardware decoding for and also lacks enough CPU to decode in software…

Stream #0:0: Video: hevc (Main 10), sand64_10(tv), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 24 fps, 24 tbr, 1k

Additionally you don’t have adjust display frame rate enabled in your player settings so your also asking it to do additionally work there. If you wanted to play that particular file as is then you really would be best served with a Vero or RPi 4. If you want to stick with the hardware you have you will want to stick with h.264/AVC files.

1 Like

Thats why… No problem, I am now aware to have everything in h.264 or convert it and call it a day.

To upgrade unfortunately I am waiting for months for RPi 4 for my 3D printer, so another one looks like next year and Vero is out of my budget. So I am stuck with this, it is slow, sometimes buffering, but it works (if it is not h.265).

Thank you very much for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like