Safely removed USB key/disk remains on screen

When I do a “remove safely” action on a connected USB key or USB disk (via a powered hub), then I would expect the key/Disk to dissappear from the list on the main screen. However, it remains there, so one is not sure if it was “removed safely” or not. To me, this is not an expected behavior.
In Windows, if one “ejects” a USB key/disk, it dissappears from the File Explorer window, which is the expected behaviour.
Device is a Vero 4K+ unit, which I update every couple of months (as it’s used in a location without network connection).

Yes, in Windows Explorer, but this bug/flaw/whatever exists in Kodi installed on Windows as well. I assume your using the Estuary skin and OSMC does not maintain that code. The OSMC skin does not show this particular widget with stock settings. If you wanted a fix you would need to address it over on the Kodi forum.

If you wanted a workaround there is a few options. The icon is actually being removed but the skin isn’t updated after the removal to actually update what is showing on the screen. You can after “remove safely” just click on the icon and if it takes you to a source list instead of the original file list for the removed drive then you know it is disconnected. Alternatively you can force an update to the GUI by playing any video file or if your using an OSMC remote from any of the home screens you can hold down the OK/Enter/Select button for a couple seconds and that will reload the skin which will show the item as no longer there. If your using a different remote you can map a key to a “ReloadSkin()” action.

Thank you for the reply, @darwindesign and apology for the late response… I had a busy time recently and no time to check your feedback.
Indeed, we are using the Estuary skin. The main user of this device in our club is >80, so changing the skin to something which looks completely different is asking for more trouble then I solve. So for him, I prefer to remain with the Estuary skin.

I tried the default OSMC skin, and there the removed USB device dissappears as you say. Also the long press on the OK button seems to work.
Nevertheless, I posted this request on the Kodi forum as you suggested.

1 Like

Feedback on the Kodi Forum: “Not a skin issue”… ping-pong

I just took a look at the exchange. It’s not really “ping-pong” as the fact remains that whatever the issue is that the widgets are not refreshing after a safely remove action is called is not platform specific and not related to any code that OSMC is maintaining. It may very well be “not a skin issue” but it doesn’t mean it isn’t a Kodi issue. It may not even be a bug, but rather just no one thought to code in for the widgets to refresh. For the record I didn’t say that the OSMC skin does not display this behavior (like you stated on the Kodi forum) but rather that it doesn’t display this widget at all using stock settings.